Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front leaf spring eyelet 34 ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Nov 8, 2013.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I ordered shackles from speedway. 1 3/4 wide for the front of my 34 .... Turns out the replacement perch bolts use a 3/4 diameter bushing , but the spring eye is 7/8..... So I call speedway and they say no one ever made 7/8 eyelets... My spring is NOS and I don't really wanna buy another new one from speedway.... Trying to think of a good way to fix this issue .. Any suggestions ,

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Andy

Andy

You can buy bronze bushings to fit your spring and perch. Far superior to the pos plastic ones that disentergrate. Any bearing supply house.

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I think the original springs had a steal sleeve that goes in there.

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Found the cure ... 3/4 Copper pipe. Cut two pieces 1 3/4 wide. Pressed it into the spring eyelets. And the bushings fit tight... Works well. This way I can run my 34 spring with my aftermarket perch bolts
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383952191.861162.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383952210.296441.jpg

5. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Original 1932/34 Ford front spring eyes are 7/8 ID . . . always have been !

Pete & Jakes offers shackle kits with 7/8 busings.

6. Yep, 7/8" on the spring eye and 3/4" on the perch eye. You can also buy stock type repros from places like MACs

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I've never delt with anything other than a model a.. So thanks for the help guys. I was unaware that they were different

8. Carter

Carter

You can, but I wouldn't.:D

I've bought two sets that weren't usable and they wouldn't take them back. Ended up finding NOS ones. Bought every one I could find for a few months.

9. Dang! I guess I got lucky on mine. My only complaints about them was having to change out the Nyloks for castle nuts and drilling them for cotter pins,
    BTW, it was nice meeting you at TROG and I love your roadster. I am sure I will see you there next year.

10. My only comment is about you saying your spring is NOS. It sure looks rough and rusty to be New Old Stock. I would give it a molasses soak for a while to get that off so it won't squeak.

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Bought it at an auction, laying in a garage floor with the ford tags still on it, in Pennsylvania ... Everything here I pa basically junk unless it's restored.... The spring is already taken apart and blasted and painted , greased then reassembled . Just didn't photograph that part.

12. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Nice work. Copper is soft but it will last as long as a bushing will.

13. Carter

Carter

It was great meeting you guys also. Definitely see ya next year.
    I had pressed mine into the spring and perch bolts, but hadn't drilled them for cotter pins yet. I put the side plates on and spun the nylocs on and I could spin them by hand. The shackle pin diameter got smaller closer to the square part and there were almost no threads in were the nuts end up. I had two complete sets like that they wouldn't take back. My buddy Joe gave me a set of his from Macs that ended up being ok.