Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front input bearing retainer on transmission binding

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim tempo, Jan 16, 2019.

1. slim tempo

slim tempo

When I tighten the three bolts on my T-96 front bearing retainer, it stops the main shaft from turning. All the tolerances are within spec. Small parts kit had all the parts, everything assembled till now. Is there something I'm missing? 005.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. sunbeam

sunbeam

Are you sure you didn't drop a needle bearing between main shaft and the input shaft? It looks like the input gear is not in far enough to match the cluster gear..

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    56don and Hnstray like this.
  3. KenC

KenC

Check the length of the retainer bolts. Seen more than one that was hitting the gear inside.

Did you replace the bearing? if so did you carefully measure it?

Hnstray likes this.
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Front ball bearing pressed all the way onto clutch gear ? If the bearing is new, did you use the new snap ring or old ? We seldom use the new one unless original worn badly.

Hnstray likes this.

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

All good suggestions.......to the OP, please post what you find when double checking.....

6. Loosen the tail housing slightly then tighten the front bearing retainer. This will tell ya if a roller dislodged in the input shaft or if the issue is the retainer to bearing.
    The Wizzard

7. F&J

F&J

One more thing besides the more common things said so far, is that there could be mis-placement of thrust washer & snap rings on either side of 2nd gear. Bring it over here if you get frustrated. I'm not near a phone during the day, but am usually in the shop

slim tempo, 302GMC and Hnstray like this.
  8. slim tempo

slim tempo

Transmission is back together and within spec. I measured the main shaft needle bearings that came with the small parts kit and they were 1/16" longer than the 1959 roller bearings. That prevented the two shafts from coming together. 009.JPG I retrieved the older bearings that were still good and put those in. Perfect.

s55mercury66, 302GMC, F&J and 2 others like this.
  9. Frank, you are a good man, always willing to help someone out.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

Thanks for reporting the fix.

Hnstray likes this.
  11. slim tempo

slim tempo

Hey Frank. Let me know if you're free for breakfast tomorrow or Saturday. I owe you one.

Hnstray likes this.
  12. F&J

F&J

Some members want follow-ups to know what was wrong. We figured it out in a few minutes today when he had a day off. The syncro hub may look symmetrical, meaning it "should" fit either way...but there was an extended shoulder on one end. (And it was facing the wrong way, and that caused the hub to be too far forward).

So, we just flipped the syncro assy around, and that was the fix for the problem.

13. slim tempo

slim tempo

There was some binding still, so I ran it over to Frank's place and he showed me where the synchro sleeve was facing the wrong way. 1/2 hour later, he had solved the problem. I owe him breakfast and lunch. Thanks Frank. 006.JPG