Register now to get rid of these ads!

front end options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by devotion, Jul 19, 2013.

1. devotion

devotion
    from idaho

Just picked up a 52 Chevy Deluxe coupe. Whoever decided to change the front end before did a real bang up job on the thing. Passenger front wheel is about 1.5'' further forward that the drivers. My question is, what front clip will fit reasonably well and still maintain the same wheel bolt pattern as stock. Greatly appreciated!

2. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

Sounds like it would make a good circle track racer.

3. bgaro

bgaro

any idea what the front end is that's in it now. could it be fixed?

4. rcoffey

rcoffey

I have a 51 with the same problem. Im still trying to decide.straight axle gasser or a camaro clip? leaning more to the gasser.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Gee I thought swapping in a completely different suspension was easy, cheap, and much better than fixing the old one.

Is it an S10?

OK sarcasm aside. If you can't square up the existing suspension you might look at a Chev Astro van. They have a bolt on front subframe like an old Camaro. You would have to measure for width and general suitability. They have the added feature of mounting a 4.3 V6 and will also take a 305 or 350 V8.

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Someone makes a bolt-in M-II cross member.. Sounds the easiest and best to me...

7. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If the new front end was put in as a bolt in, (like the original) then I think the easiest would be to unbolt it and move it into correct alignment and drill new mounting holes. Unless the new front suspension is crap, and needs to be replaced anyway.

8. aaggie

aaggie

Did you actually drop a plumb bob from the center of a rear axle and front spindle on both sides and measure for square? The body might be crooked from wreck damage and you are just looking at the wheel centered in the fender. Make sure before you spend a lot of time and money you don't need too.

9. devotion

devotion
    from idaho

I will get the measuring stick out here when I get a minute...the rest of the frame is straight, the front end is a hack job.

10. ...pics or info on your current front end would help;...you've got lots of options depending on if you still have the orig. frame rails or if it's been cut off and somethin else fitted onto it.

more info please.