Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front end noise, suggestions please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63comet, Jun 6, 2013.

1. 63comet

63comet

Gonna find this noise today if the weather agrees...

'63 Comet, Granada type disc brakes....

Rhythmic skritch skritch coming from the front. At first I thought it was rust spots on the rotor but it didn't go away and the noise doesn't change with application of the brakes.

I'm leaning towards a dust shield dragging somewhere. Makes sense to me as the noise is related to road speed but doesn't change with braking. Seems slightly louder when turning towards the left.

All the front end bits are brand new, car hasn't been driven more than aroun the block since rebuild of suspension.

Anything else you would suggest to check?

This noise is all that kept me from driving her home last week as it worried me and I didn't have the time to troubleshoot then.

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Maybe a rock in the caliper that's riding against the rotor.

3. Hren59

Hren59

Dust shield

4. Probably the brake pads. HRP

5. Pull off the front wheels, look on the back of each wheel for a shiny area. If the caliper is that close to the wheel, it can make contact.

If that shows nothing, spin each rotor to see if it's hitting the dust shield. Also look for shiny spots on the calipers. If you can isolate it to the dust shield, that can be pried away with a big screwdriver.

At the worst, you'll have to pull the calipers and rotors off for a closer look.

Bob

6. Fenders

Fenders

What he said but I'd first jack up the front end and spin each wheel, try to isolate it to one side or the other.

7. BBYBMR

BBYBMR

Break-pad wear 'alarm'. Typically a metal tab that rubs on the rotor when its time to change the pads.

8. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Also these cars tended to squeak even when fairly new. If you find nothing in the brakes, lube all the suspension bushings with a good shot of spray silicone.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think BobSS396 hit on it. there is probably a mark on the inside of one of the rims where it has been hitting the caliper. If that's the case you might need a spacer just thick enough to get it to clear or take the grinder to the caliper in that spot and create a bit of clearance.

If you aren't seeing spots where the wheel hit the caliper check the dust cover but I'd check it anyhow.

10. 63comet

63comet

Thanks for all the suggestions! Forgot to mention that brake parts are all new too, so if its a wear indicator I may snap, lol.

Wheel rubbing the caliper is a distinct possibility, I hope not. Spacers worry me, and I'm already really close to the fender, front bumper. I'm using 15" '80s Crown Vic wheels, they seemed to clear fine. It'd be funny if the paint I put on them was enough to lose the necessary clearance.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

wear indicator noise goes away when you apply the brakes. I'd check the run out on the rotors even if they are brand new. We used to turn brand new rotors. They can warp on the ship from where they were cast.

12. 63comet

63comet

Might be rotor run out... Might be a wheel scrubbing somewhere I haven't identified...

Jacked up each corner, spun wheels, pulled wheels, spun again. No odd noises other than the flash rust scraping off the rotors in front, drums in back... Did I mention its monsoon season? Lol.

Decided to drive her home, only about fifteen miles, but in heavy traffic.

Slight rhythmic noise is still there, along with a thousand other noises that all had me on edge. I'm going to have to get the exhaust fixed before I can really hunt things. Exhaust is barely hanging on with flex pipes and coat hangers. Have a header somewhere in transit, once that's here can fix things right.

Hasn't been aligned yet. I'm wondering if I may be hearing odd tire noises due to that?

I'm goin to mark the tires with chalk before I go out again too in order to make sure they're not finding places to rub.

13. BillyM

BillyM

This may be a real "flyer", but do you have wheel covers on it? Trim rings? I've seen them make funny noises, and only when the tire rubs against it, under load, where you get slight buldge, and it rubs on a slightly out of round wheel cover, trim ring.....

14. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I say the guys have it covered with a dust shield or slight caliper interference.

Just to be sure...if you haven't had the wheels off since you noticed this, try torquing your wheels first to see if you are just starting to get a loose wheel.
    I've had a couple that loosened up a bit and made a rhythmic kinda sound...at first! LoL
    No harm checking it out!!!

15. 63comet

63comet

I retorqued the wheels after the first around the block. I've had a wheel fall off before, twice shy you know...

My brother is pretty sure the noise is coming from the back end of the car. He actually leaned out the window to listen for me today. I chalk marked the back tires to look for scrub marks. The left rear is still scrubbing some.

It really sounds like a metal on metal noise so when I get the chance I'm going to see if a backing plate is touching the drum, or maybe even something inside the drums isn't clearing right.

16. BobMcD

BobMcD

Take a look at the ujoints. They can squeak when they start to sieze up. You will see a rust ring around the caps.

17. 63comet

63comet

The skritch skritch was coming from the right rear brake. Drum touching backing plate.

The edge of the drum, down inside the double flange thing around the circumference, isn't quite true. That coupled with high spots on the edge of the backing plate was allowing contact.

Took a grinder to the shiny spots on the backing plate. Noise is gone, or at least can't be heard over the exhaust.

18. BobMcD

BobMcD

Thanks for the update.

19. 63comet

63comet

In another thread it was commented that folks tend to be slack on posting what fixed the problem. I agree. It's frustrating when you search, find a thread with exactly the issue you're having, and there is no punchline.

And for shits and giggles here is my punchline for everyone posting "engine won't run right" threads...... Maybe it was built for NASCAR?!