Register now to get rid of these ads!

front end alignment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leachafreak, Feb 1, 2010.

1. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

ok, i have a 30 model a with a model a front axle (suicide).i am trying to figure out the best way to align the front and/or make sure the front is aligned.when i first got the car we pushed it up the drive way and it was going to the left.any tips or best way to get the front aligned?

2. Run back outside and twist the steering wheel to the right.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You need a plumb bob and some chalk. Make sure you are on level ground, etc. Drop the bob line and mark 6 points. One on each end of the front axle, one on each end of the rear axle, measure and find the true center of the front spring perch, measure and find the center of the rear spring perch or spreader bar. Drop a line from both of those.

Now measure. You want to check each axle for square to the chassis by measuring from one end to the center point at the opposite end of the car, then compare to the other side. (think triangle) Measure the wheel base on each side and compare.

If you find any difference, left to right, you will need to correct it, then measure it all again.

4. The Shocker

The Shocker

I always set the Toe on a straight axle car by getting it on jack stands ,marking a place on both front tires and measure it from the back ,then roll the tires 180 degrees till the marks are on the front side ,and measure again.Compare the measurements to see where your at .Make adjustments to each ties rod end a little at a time and measure and remeasure till you get it about 3/16 toed in .Its never let me down in the past on several cars .Kinda primative but it should get you in the ball park ...

5. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

do you measure straight back or cross?

6. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

take the measurement any place thats easy to see. could be the third rib in or what ever works for you. I built my car 4 years ago and set the tow-in that way and the tires are wearing perfect and its easy to drive, I set mine a 1/4 towed in measuring the front to back of the front tires.

7. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

???????????:confused:

8. The Shocker

The Shocker

Kinda hard to put into words ,but i will try to explain it better.Its just a way to see if the toe is the same from the back of the front wheels to the front of the front wheels and making sure that your measuring from the same point both ways.Just pick a spot on the tread on both front tires then mark it with a piece of chaulk or something that shows up easy.Roll the tires till the marks are both about halfway up on the front sides evenly (or towards the front of the car).Then measure the distance between the two marks and write it down.Now roll the tires 180 degrees till the marks are about halfway up in the rear (or towards the rear of the car) .Write that measurement down as well and compare them.If the measurement when the tires had the marks facing the front of the car is less than when facing the back of the car ,its toed in .If the measurement when the marks are facing the rear of the car is less than when taking on the front sides ,it toed out.Once again all the marks do is help you to make sure you are measuring from the same point front to back .You are just measuring across the two front tires width wise to set the basic toe.Nothing to do with the back tires for toe adjustment .I could show you this in a second ,but its hard to explain with a key board.Its kinda like trying to explain to someone how to change a u joint with a bench vise over the phone ...

9. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

10. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

i get it. thanks guys.

11. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I'll have to take you for that smart assed remark. I don't have to square a car I built square. I see you know all about easy....

12. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Yes, it was and, Yes, I do! ;)

13. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

^^^^^^^^^^^ Start with the simple fixes first!!!!