Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods FRONT DRUM BRAKES HELP...5x4.5 Options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nos1partstore, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

I am building a 28 roadster highboy, with a 4 inch drop axle. I want to run my steel wheels which are 5x4.5....How do I accomplish a drum brake set up for 5x4.5? (I do not want to run wheel adapters) Any aftermarket kits I have seen taylor to 5x5.5 it seems......thoughts? All I have is the axle at this point

Thank you

2. ted kovacs likes this.
  3. Nos1partstore

Nos1partstore

Do I order the speedway wheel hub kit?

4. You can use the bearing kit from speedway. It’s about 30 bucks. Or you can buy the bearings and seals from your parts house. I don’t remember them off hand but there are threads here that give the bearing numbers. The inner bearing is what changes. The outer bearing is the same I believe as the 28 to 48 car bearing.
    Also if you go with F1 or F100 brakes. Buy the shoes and all the hardware for a 66 F100 front drum. They fit perfect and give you auto adjusting brakes.

town sedan likes this.

5. You need the hubs and the backing plates for F1 or F100. You can’t mix them. The spacing is different.

town sedan likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Rich B in Minnesota advertises rebuilt F-1 brakes in the classifieds all the time for great prices. Maybe you could even get him to do the bolt pattern change for you? He's rather crafty.

RICH B and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  7. X-cpe

X-cpe

You can make your own jig.
    Get a piece of aluminum (steel if you want)
    Lay out two circles. 4.5" and 5.5"
    Mark the 5.5" circle every 72*
    On the 4.5" circle do the same halfway between the marks on the 5.5" circle
    Drill 1/8" pilot holes at each mark
    Hole saw or cut out the center to clear the center of the hub
    Drill the holes in the 5.5" circle until they just clear the existing studs
    Use an 1/8" bit through 1/8" holes in the 4.5" circle to pilot your new bolt circle

8. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Just bought their kit for 5 on five to 5 1/2 on 4 1/2. Used it and it worked great.

9. If you are already set up and running early Ford Brakes (1940-48) just have a machine shop redrill them to the bolt pattern you need.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    JNKYARDDOG_1 likes this.