Register now to get rid of these ads!

front disc brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by goldflake, Sep 25, 2009.

1. goldflake

goldflake

Question...I bought the front disc brake kit from speedway I think its a 70's GM disc brakes does anyone know....

second I'm is it possible that I crushed my driverside bearing from tighting the nut that holds the rotor, because the brake pad wont fit between the rotor and the caliper bracket.....anyone?

2. goldflake

goldflake

3. what are you trying to put it on? how about a few pic's of the kit. got a pn. from speedway?

4. squirrel

squirrel

No, you did not crush the bearing, but you might have put stuff together wrong. Like he said...pictures!

5. are the seals pressed completely in?
    Are the bearings reversed -inner for outer

6. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Is the piston in the caliper pushed back so that it is flush with the dust seal?

7. twofosho

twofosho

Is the caliper piston retracted into the caliper body? Fresh pads usually don't clear the rotor unless the piston is retracted (or nearly so).

Will the loaded (pads installed) caliper slide onto the rotor while still unattached to the caliper bracket? If so, and the caliper still won't go on the rotor when attached to the caliper bracket, then the caliper isn't installed correctly on the caliper bracket and/or the rotor/hub isn't installed correctly on the spindle.

Are the bearings and seals correctly installed in the hub and on the spindle? Just how much DID you tighten the spindle nut? Snug plus a little to seat the bearings while turning the rotor, backed off just to where you can't feel any slop in the bearings, then tightened only enough to get the cotter key through the spindle and the very next slot in the castle nut will usually get you close enough. Unless you have actually mangled something by over torquing with King Kong like force, an overly tight spindle nut might not be the best thing for the bearings (especially if they are dry), but it won't affect the caliper/pad to rotor fit if the bearings are installed correctly with the races fully seated.

8. Phil1934

Phil1934

I've got the kit and remember the caliper would not drop in, but I could rotate it around and pull it up to get it in or some such thing that didn't make a lot of sense at the time.