Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front disc brakes without a booster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drw47, Jul 25, 2013.

1. drw47

drw47

Hey guys, I am about out of usable room on my '29 Willys roadster build. Wanted to use a booster unit on the brakes but just cant find the extra room. I have a set of Speedway big disc brakes on the front, ford drums on the rear and a duel chamber master cylinder. Can I run this setup without a booster or not??? Please give me your thoughts . thanks

2. Basically the same setup in my avatar. No issues after many years and many miles and a few panic stops.

3. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

I have a 35 chevy pickup. Disc in front ford drums out back no problems. With a heaver
    car you may have to push a little harder but they'll work.

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Just do your homework -

Verify your front AND rear piston dia's, then size the master cylinder to suit.
    I've got disc/disc on one of my cars, no booster and it stops with "very" little effort.
    My setup works well with a 1.00" master cylinder piston diameter.

Mike

morac41 likes this.

5. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

same as chopped51-no problems. i am running a pete&jakes set up from the eightys in a 2000lb. car. it stops on a dime...................

6. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

4 wheel GM disks/calipers and non power master on my 64 Chevelle...stops great.

7. 2935ford

2935ford

My '32 Slantback ran the same setup....no problems.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I am not entirely sure where the idea comes from that you "must" have a power booster with disc brakes, but I get a lot of calls from guys in your shoes. Just as a couple of others have said, be real careful about master cylinder diameters and go. It was done a million times by the OEM manufactures before the world got so wimpy that power brakes became "necessity". Do make sure your pedal is in 6:1 range or better as far as ratio.

morac41 likes this.
  9. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

With a light car, there should be no
    problems. A few years back, I ran
    4-wheel disks - 11 inch '71 Maverick
    rotors with GM callipers on the front
    and 2000-something Ford Explorer
    disks in back, using a 79 Lincoln
    Versailles master cylinder - on an
    OT V8-powered '74 Pinto - total
    curb weight about 2470 lbs. with
    no power booster and it worked
    great. Pedal travel was normal and,
    pedal effort was firm, but certainly
    not excessive or hard. And having
    that much brake on a sub-2500 lb
    car was phenomenal - the car would
    haul down from any speed you
    cared or dared to go without any
    brake fade whatsoever and it would
    stop on the old proverbial "dime...and
    then give you back 9 cents change,
    too!!:eek::D

Mart3406
    =======

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  10. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

^^^^ as louvers stated: pedal ratio/geometry is huge. No booster needed. very little room in that car, got a 27 sedan, same deal.

11. oldolds

oldolds

My set-up on 39 Chevy is all off a 71 Firebird. That car was non power disc brake car. Just a place to look for the sizing.

12. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Non power on my Galaxie with discs and works fine, you will have to push a little harder. Look for smaller bore master cylinders, I'm using a 1" and have been told a 7/8" would help the pedal feel.

Black_Sheep likes this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I did that on a '47 Ford Coupe a few years ago.........BIG 12" F100/150 rotor kit from Speedway with BIG GM '71-'76 fullsize calipers on the front......8" Ford with 10"x 1.75
    drums on the rear and a '67-'72 Mustang 15/16" bore master cylinder with stock Ford pedal assembly. NO booster and NO proportioning valve..

Very satisfactory results. Nice pedal feel.........great performance with no premature lockup of the rear brakes.

Ray

14. Same set up I have in my F-1. No need for a booster. I like to feel my brakes.

15. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

my avatatar has the eci disc kit for a camaro clip up front and standard 10 bolt drums in the rear and runs a non boosted master. it's the corvette 1 inch bore style master. no problems here.

16. Rusty

Rusty

No problems here, your roadster looks light , you don't have any problems to worry about

17. The idea comes from guys that were not around before everything had a booster I think.

I got a set of twin piston brakes from an Avanti that didn't have a booster and it gets even better it had a jelly jar from the factory. I used to wrench on a 55 Stude that had Ford discs on the front and an 8" ford with drums on the back, ran for years all over the US with an original master under the floor.

18. banginona40

banginona40

Same with my coupe, drum rear, disc front, no booster..

19. drofdar

drofdar
    from Fresno Ca

Ditto: My Avatar 55 routinely gets up to 120mph in the quarter mile, and stops - no problem. Manual dual cylinder Corvette master, disc front, Ford drum rear. Cars weighs 3200#

20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you still want power brakes there are remote boosters. They can be located anywhere on the car. Hot rod shops sell them.

An alternative is the hydroboost system that uses pressure off the power steering pump. OEM starting with GM in the late 70s. Much smaller booster but of course, you have to have a power steering pump.

21. drw47

drw47

Thanks guys! I will proceed !

22. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

GM cars had two holes in the brake pedal arm to use with either power assist or manual brakes masters. Simply moved the operating rod closer to the pivot point for manual master to increase leverage.
    I removed the master on my Austin when I swapped cams in the 327 and didn't have enough vacuum. No way to move the rod, so I simply chopped the arm and lengthened it to gain a little leverage. They work great without the booster, after the mod.

23. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Some of those small hot rod after market boosters seem to do very little anyway.
    I had a Hillman sedan years ago with factory front disc brakes and no booster and braking was good...

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

On a light weight car, no.

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Boosters? We don't need no stinking boosters!

Stock '66 Vette, discs and no booster.

26. pitman

pitman

Nice to have those kind of options Rusty.
    I ran front disks w/o boost and upped the pedal ratio slightly.
    Seems I recall 6:1 was a typical starting point.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Same here on the Plymouth. I have G.M. calipers all around on 11" discs with a Willwood triple master, balance bar system and two 1" cylinders for the brakes on a 2800 pound car... Life is good!

28. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I build all my cars with no booster. At least 6-1 pedal ratio and a 7/8" piston in the MC. I like having the same pedal feel regardless of engine vacuum and the brakes work just as well with the engine off. You have to get used to pushing the pedal a little harder but it's hard to go back to the over boosted 50's and 60's brake pedal feel once you do.

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have a OT '76 Chevy 1/2 ton PU with factory front disc / rear drum and no booster. yep, got to drive like drum/drum but, it works.

30. NeedFiber

NeedFiber

Pretty much all the correct info has been stated throughout this thread but allow me to sum it up. I sell hot rod parts for a living and assist in matching brake components every day.
    1) Choose the correct bore MC to match caliper fluid requirements. 1" or 15/16" offer greater line pressure with given amount of leg pressure vs. 1.125" bore. Calipers require more fluid than wheel cylinders. 4 wheel disc will need a larger bore MC vs. disc/drum
    2) Create a pedal ratio greater than 6:1. I've seen systems up to 7.25:1. 4 wheel disc will benefit from the greater ratio (see #1)
    3) Under the floor pedal? Install 1 residual valve, inline, after the prop valve in each circuit front and rear. 2# disc, 10# drum. This will eliminate fluid drain back into your MC and will partially begin to engage your calipers or drums. It will not create drag. It will reduce pedal travel and brake engagement time.
    4) Prop valve? Up to you. A combo valve will engage your rear brakes first allowing the car to track straight under panic braking. It will also reduce rear brake line pressure. A prop only valve will just reduce your rear brake line pressure.
    Dave