Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods FRONT DISC BRAKE KIT FOR 1946 CHEVY COUPE-6 LUG

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bullrunmotor, Jan 25, 2019.

1. bullrunmotor

bullrunmotor
    from East Coast

I'd like to convert my 46 Chevy coupe to front disc brakes but really want to keep my stock 16 in. 6 lug wheels. Anybody know of a kit that allows you to use your stock 6 lug wheels? Every kit I see makes you convert to 5 lugs. Thanks in advance

2. catdad49

catdad49

I know that there used to be kits for the 47-54 Chevy trucks, but I doubt the spindles are the same. Check Tucker's Classic Trucks, there may be others.

3. bullrunmotor

bullrunmotor
    from East Coast

Yeah-trucks are a whole different set up. I didn't want to convert to 15 in wheels. I'm even trying to find a narrow 5 lug 16 in wheel but will then carry 2 spares.

4. The backside of the wheel (shape) is just as important as the spindle...your asking for the impossible

5. 24riverview

24riverview

Back in the 70's before non ford kits were available I made my own rotors by putting the rotor from a 1970 Impala (they were 2 piece) on the backside of a 53-54 Chevy hub (I wanted 5 bolt). No machine work was involved, the studs held them together. No problems with original ball bearings either in almost 40 years. Made our own caliper brackets though.
    I wonder if the same wouldn't be possible for you using 1970 K10 rotors?
    https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-rotor/chevrolet/k10
    What wbrw32 said is important though, you may want to find someone with a 70 K10 (not sure how many years were the same) to test fit your wheel to before this. Older wheels usually won't clear the caliper.

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

You could possibly try adapting rotors from 6 lug small Japanese pickups but of course try your wheel on to see if it clears.

7. Król

Król

Try ECI. Don't know if stock rims will clear?