Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Front coilovers, need some help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bonehead II, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Bonehead II

Bonehead II

Hey Guys
    need some help installing some coilovers, here what, I got a Welder series front crossmember, Heidts upper and lower control arms, and two new front coilovers off an Heidts front end for a pickup truck. All of this is in my '38 Plymouth 5 window. Now my question is how do I put the shocks in and at what height do I install the upper shock mount, is there some kind of chart ?
    The shocks measurement out at 13 3/4" long and 11" closed so that's 2 3/4" travel..Do I mount half way in the travel ? and at what angle would you put them in at ?
    Thanks for all your help
    Mike

2. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I mount my coilovers half way through the stroke. That's an awfully short stroke. Mounting them in the upper control arm so as not to have interference at full bump and full extension. With that short stroke you'll need a stiff spring.

3. Check the website of any shock mfr. There's usually a chart of their shock specifics.. Look at the compressed & extended lengths. If theres one close to what you want, then look at the recommended install height.. If there's not, you can still calculate your needs using the info on the chart... As I recall , when I did my car , that it was not exactly half....

4. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Take your front tire diameter ,subtract half plus an inch or so for tire squish if using radials..this is center of hub height..set the car on blocks at desired ride height..set shock length to recommended position in its "stroke" or wing it, I would leave about 5/8 to 2/3 of travel for bump ( compression) , mock that up and where the top is is where you build your bracketry....good luck, have fun , post photos!