Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front coilover advice needed please......

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 4SpeedGuy, Jun 7, 2017.

1. 4SpeedGuy

4SpeedGuy
    from Lubbock Tx

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Been lurking and learning from here for a while.
    I sling a little wrench on the side. This 39 ford coupe on a Toyota pickup frame came to me. This poor thing has been through several "shops" and a few owners. The current owner is a nice guy who is letting me go where I want with this project. There's just a couple of more things that were screwed up when I got it left to fix.

In a previous life, this frame was a low rider pickup. Before it came to me, the rear suspension had been changed back to leaf spring. (Had to fix that mess too ) the front is still on air. This was a torsion bar truck and there is no going back that way now.

Coilovers look like the way out . After I cut all the old air crap out, I'm looking for a way to mount them . The easy way may be to use a mustang 2 type top mounting arrangement. If I can find the correct coilovers, do the top shock mounts look strong enough to hold coilovers?
    Not scared to cut the factory ones out and make heavier eye mounts , but don't want to bill the owner for unnecessary work.
    Any suggestions or input would help!
    And yes, I moved the rear axle so the tires are centered!!

2. We're a traditional site here. Putting a 37-40 ford frame under the ol' girl is the only way. Frame swaps, especially from foreign cars is frowned on here. Do it right with a ford frame with transverse leaf springs. That's how we roll here.

mgtstumpy and mad mikey like this.
  3. 4SpeedGuy

4SpeedGuy
    from Lubbock Tx

I would if I could... If it were mine............I'd start over..
    This is what I have to work with. This is what the owner brought to me.
    I did put a 58 ford 9 inch under it!
    Not trying to offend or stir the pot.....