Register now to get rid of these ads!

front breaks for the gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zombie, May 19, 2006.

1. zombie

zombie

i'm looking for the right front breaks for my gasser project. the car should run mid 12's, and will be street legal, so i do want it to stop. im running the standard setup out front with a tube axle, and 4" steelies. ford econoline breaks are one option. any more?

2. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally, I'd run disc brakes. I love fast cars, but I have no desire to die in one.

3. zombie

zombie

i understand the fact that the discs work much better, however that is not the direction i am going with this build.

4. What axle ? if you are using Speedway/MAS tube axle or Ford I beam axle ,Speedway's disc kit is the what you need , for drum brakes use 39-48 ford for the I beam (poor choice,at least angle drill the drum for vents ) and 49-54 chevy drum sets for the tube axle w 49-54 chevy spindles
    oh yah, USE RIVETED shoes, NOT glued types for both, neither was ever designed to slow a car down from those speeds, 12.0's w a 60 YO brake design is scary ,been there

5. zombie

zombie

thanks mike, squeak bell from the kiwi konnection is building me a tube axle. i am cutting a lot of material from the body, so it shouldn't be too heavy.

6. I happened to think of this as well, IF you can find a shop that still relines brake shoes , have them rivet on metallic linings, that w the cross drilled drums should help enormously, its not the frontend or sprung weight that gets you, its the driven or pushed total weight a LOT heavier at speed than you would think.

7. zombie

zombie

i am cutting and drilling all of the body supports, inside the doors, quarter panles, and trunk as well. no interior. all of the glass is good, so i probablly wont replace it with plexi, but i should be able to get quite a bit of weight off the entire car.

8. 97

Hey those Kiwi's sure know how to engineer stuff aye??
    What about early Falcon/Mustang, or beter than 39 stuff go for F100 if you want to go that big, what does Squeak say?
    What about Buick , with Bendix backing plate and shoes setup, some 50s/60s International and Dodge pickups had pretty good drum setups.
    Wilson machine makes new drum setups .
    Some small Jappa trucks have double acting front drum brakes , which are quite light and compact.

You could ask Squeak to find some Mk2 Zephyr drums on one of his trips home to Enzed . lol

Hey just clicked as to who you probably are, any chance of getting a copy of the old Sideburn Circus front page ...the animated one with Midi? file.
    I had saved it , but my computer converted the file to a JPEG ..so no music anymore. email is [email protected].

9. zombie

zombie

ha ha, no, sorry. i dont have any of the website stuff. i still have the original art somewhere. yes. squeak knows what hes doing. hes helping me with the whole frontend setup. he confirmed the possibility of the econoline brakes, but told me to look into some other options.

10. COOP

COOP

I'm in the process of building a gasser lookalike. Its a bantam roadster with 409 4 speed. I have a m.a.s. front axle and used speedways "black gold" kit. It has nice aluminum hubs and lightweight Wilwood calipers and rotors. The whole system is small and light. I used the new 10 spoke wheels that speedway sells, and the whole package looks exceptionaly nice. Originaly, I was going to rely on the large rear tires to stop it, but I remember doing that once. Lesson learned

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I have pics of a very ford 32 roadster with a tall deck red ram(325 hemi,... I think)
    At any rate....this fella had Buell front discs Tapped into the Halibrand spindle mount rims.....a very slick set-up and it was impressive.
    Looked the part without looking to modern.
    I have pics......just pm me.

12. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I'm going to start with a set of finned aluminum drums from a '69 Buick Skylark (A-Body). These are smaller than the traditional Buick finned drums--they're 9x2.5 inches, and will fit behind the 14-inch Torque Thrusts. The finned aluminum should shed heat pretty well, and they're light. I'm shooting for 10s in my gasser, and I'm lightening the hell out of it (glass front end, glass doors, plexi, no inner fenders, little interior, etc.)
    It's also in the back of my head that there are three turn-outs at the end of the track...
    -Brad

13. 5foot2

5foot2
    from Maine

Spindle mounted spokes up front and discs out back.

14. studhud

studhud

39 zephyr brakes are juice and they are self energizing hard to come buy though. You could pick any thing really stay away from new linnings though as they are all junk in my experience. Organic linings overheat, brake fade and have cracked! Metallic linings are not meant for old drums as the drums are soft and will wear faster than the linnings. I found a guy who still does asbestos linings they work killer better than anything else Ive run Pm me if you want info for him LTR Dave

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Here are the pics I was talking about.
    Prolly not what Zombie was asking for....but food for thought.
    This duece had Buell brakes drilled and tapped onto his spindle mounts.
    Pretty clever engineering I thought.
    If I were to do this..for peace of mind I would have the rims magnafluxed for cracks.

Attached Files:

• A1.jpg
      A1.jpg
      File size:
      77.5 KB
      Views:
  16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

the money shots-#1

Attached Files:

• A2.jpg
      A2.jpg
      File size:
      80.2 KB
      Views:
  17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

...#2

Attached Files:

• A3.jpg
      A3.jpg
      File size:
      80.5 KB
      Views:
  18. :D Sounds like when were building dirt track stock cars. It was amazing how much weight we got rid of & in the same breath I presume you are going to build some sort of rollcage for it? Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy

19. zombie

zombie

thanks for the pics jeff. that is a sweet set up. i definitely want to run drums though. squeak was wanting me to run ford spindles and im not sure why. i will have to ask him. i will be looking into the 49-54 chevy brakes too.

as far as a roll bar, you are not required to run a rool bar untill 11.50s with a hardtop, but i am gonna run a small one.

20. Terry O

Terry O

Thanks for the pics Jeff!

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Your welcome Terry!

I think(not quite sure)the reason for ford spindles is there is only a small amount of machining required.I also believe you may need the early round back spindles(37-40)....not the square back ones(41-48)
    Jeem had some evil scheme on this plan too....But as usual..... I was not paying attention:rolleyes:

Again.....just throwing it out there.