Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical front brakes from 1955 ford f100 pickup. what are they worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sport fury, Aug 24, 2014.

1. sport fury

sport fury

I know a person that is replacing the whole front suspension and brakes on his 1955 ford F100. I want to buy the front brakes to replace my 1948 ford front brakes on my 1930 ford coupe. what is a fair price to offer him for the front brakes? I need the backing plates, drums and all hardware.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What is scrap metal worth? If you don't buy them who will? If his alternative is to sell them for scrap you should get a deal.

Frankly they are not worth that much, most people these days are changing to disc brakes and IFS. If he gets $50 and you go pick them up he is doing well.

3. take a look in the classified's and see what they are really worth , they are becoming popular again

4. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

They are Bendix type brakes and better than your 48 brakes.. They are worth more also than your 48 brakes.. I'll take your old brakes...

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

limited desirability... Streetrodders want discs I have these on my 34 and love them. I'd offer 50 bucks with plans to raise my bid if necessary. I'm betting you will have to spend some on them before you mount them.

6. limited desirability? scrap metal? i guess i'm out of touch

7. sport fury

sport fury

disc brakes on a real hot rod look like ketchup on icecream

8. I've seen complete sets, both sides, completely refurbished go for $200 with hubs.

9. I did a bunch of F-100/Volare swaps and had about 5 complete axles with springs and couldn't give them away.

10. Street rodder and truck guys don't place much value on them; but when evaluating them, consider the condition and your plans. If they are "cores" or you plan to rebuild them no matter the condition $50-$100 is a good price around here; however if they are "fresh" and you are planning to bolt them on without replacing parts they may be worth more to you.

11. Carl, If you still can't give them away, I'll take em..;):)

12. brady1929

brady1929

I would like a pair too Carl, please.

13. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

There is a time period issue here I believe. If your building a modern street rod, I would also use disc brakes ( I have a street rod and it has IFS and disc). If you are building something more in the 1950s to early 1960s style, disc would not look correct (have one of these also, 33 coupe with F1 brakes on the front). I can tell you when I was looking for F1 and early F100 parts last fall I was not finding anything at give away prices! It fact most of what I was looking for was so overpriced that I had to come up with some workarounds. First, make sure the drums are in good shape and can be turned or cleaned up. Second, almost every thing gets replaced anyway so you don't use much other than the hubs, backing plates and drums. I would be willing to pay $100 to $200 according to condition myself. If you are making the offer and he doesn't have a price set think I would start at say $75 and then work my way up. If they are in good shape and you get them for $75 I would say good score. And anyone who has a setup willing to sell for say $75 to $100 let me know, I'll buy them!!!

sport fury likes this.
  14. What's nice about the '53-'56 F100 brakes is you can still go down to Auto zone and get parts over the counter for them, reasonably priced. Including drums, shoes and hardware, because the same Bendix design was used up to '66.

sport fury likes this.
  15. jseery

jseery
    from Wichita KS

And they are even cheaper online! I found parts on RockAuto at close out prices that I couldn't believe. Most of the stuff was at least 75-80% off, USA made old stock parts. But, like prime said, you can also go to any auto supply and pick up what you want.

16. sport fury

sport fury

BINGO!!!

17. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

I have used the f 100s on several cars and managed to get them as cheap as
    $75 for a pair with turnable drums.

18. They are a Prius now

19. sport fury

sport fury

bought a front end from a 1955 ford f100 today for $100. good to all the parts needed are easily available and reasonably priced.

20. Larry T

Larry T

You can convert them over to self adjusting brakes ----- if that's not to street roddy.

21. sport fury

sport fury

I was just looking into using the 1966 ford self adjuster hardware to convert them.

Larry T likes this.
  22. If you intend to run original Model A wire wheels (or any early Ford wire wheels or Kelsey's) be sure to check out fit problems with the F100 drums.

Charlie Stephens