Register now to get rid of these ads!

front axle spindle swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52stude43, Mar 16, 2009.

1. 52stude43

52stude43

Has any one out there took an early ford axle '28-48' and adapted newer spindles to it with little work , 50'-60' ford or dodge or even twin I-beam ford through early 80' , besides the steering mods needed just wondering if any share common king-pin sizes , so with some junkyard scrounging could possibly have a cheap brake set-up for a early ax. any luck anyone??:confused:

2. I have been wondering the exact same thing. I have a Model A Axle I would like to swap everything out on without spending a fortune. Hope someone answers this thread.
    Wp

3. metalman

metalman

If there was some spindles that were cheap, easy to get and bolted on I think it would be commen knowledge by now, after all guys have been wanting to bolt disc brakes on early Ford axle from the 60's. Best your going to do is a cheap disc brake kit from someone like Speedway and some junkyard disc and calipers bolted to original or aftermarket Ford spindles that fit your axle. Not sure but I don't think there is anything that works with stock A stuff.

4. R Pope

R Pope

Like Metalman sez, if there was a swap that worked, we'd be shouting it from the rooftops.

5. i'm not aware of anything either. if you decide to go ahead and adapt something , keep in mind the different kingpin diameters and kingpin inclination

6. studedudeus

studedudeus

The Twin I-beams that I've seen use ball joints to attach the spindles, not a kingpin. The ends of the beams are much larger than the old Ford axles. Spindles much larger too. Should be able to find econoline that would work, though. Not sure whether the kingpin is the same size or whether the boss on the end is the correct width. You'd have to do more research.

Good Luck.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

What would be the point? '28-48 stuff interchanges and is readily available original or repro. Whatever brakes you want are available in complete kits or as just brackets for junkyard calipers and discs. Most fifties and sixties stuff would have a limited selection of brake choices, and modern stuff that comes with good brakes is generally utterly different. The few practical interchanges like F 1 trucks don't really offer any advantages that cannot be attained with early spindles.

8. Here is the axle I am using. Everything except the axle itself looks unusable. I guess I will look at Speedway and try to find the stuff I need. Too many years under a trailer for the drums and spindles and brake parts.

[​IMG]

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Trailer spindles are often junk from crude welding to eliminate steering movement... I've seen some that looked like there was more welding rod than spindle present.

10. The Steering Movement Elimination worked on mine. Couldn't turn 'em with the hair of a virgin and chicken bones shaken in a hubcap!
    The axle itself is still good and sturdy though, just gotta get 'er back together with some new parts.
    Wp

11. 52stude43

52stude43

I was just checking , have been looking at the speedway stuff myself , I figured if something worked the HAMB members would know:D

12. I put 53-56 F-100 spindles on a A dropped axle for a Customer 2 years ago. If I remember correct the new King Pin was .025 larger then the A pin. No problem, I just reamed the axle. The pin angle was 4 degrees different. No big deal since it was dropped. We just had the alignment shop bend it a little more. The F-100 steering arms are a bolt on style with a big Eye hole on the bottom. They looked like Crap. No problem, I just cut it off and ground it some so it looked good then built some new steering arms. Customer was happy he didn't half to buy adapters for the F-100 Drum Brakes. All the machine work cost him $300.00. I did it because I get paid by the Hour and He was the Boss for half the day. It really made No sense to me.
    The Wizzard