Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Front axle repair

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by trollst, Dec 11, 2013.

1. trollst

trollst

Time to tackle a long dreaded problem, the driver side kingpin boss on my dropped axle is a little sloppy, easily taken up by the locking pin, but never the less not right. Is there a way to shrink it back to size? I recall seeing an article somewhere about it, but I'm aged and suffer from crs (can't remember shit). Its not bad enough to swap out, I thought about making a bushing, its an early stretched ford axle, year unknown, I've had thirty years or more, so would like to repair it. Any thoughts?

2. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I had the same problem.Couldnt find oversize pins,really didn't want to go that route either.I read over on the ford barn about heating to shrink but couldn't find good instructions.I ended up tig welding about 3/4 inch down from top of the boss on both ends of the bore.Bored and honed to size to tight slip fit.Seems like it should work.For the amount of time I had into it I probably good of purchased a new axle.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Heat it red and pound on it with a big hammer then let it shrink around the king pin. You can also take the axle off, shrink it with the pin out and ream to size.

4. 117harv

117harv

5. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

6. trollst

trollst

Many thanks guys, I knew I'd seen it somewhere. Right after xmas, it'll be my first repair, merry xmas to you all. LeRoy.