Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Front Axle Identification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rubrmat, May 17, 2018.

1. Rubrmat

Rubrmat

Lakester3.JPG Lakester2.JPG Lakester1.JPG Can anyone identify this front axle for me? This is on a Lakester that is supposed to be a '27 Ford with a '37 V8-60. Since this project, naturally, is a hodgepodge of parts, I am having issues with finding the front hubs, backing plates, etc. We did have these parts but after sending them out they "went missing". Hoping to find another set but things are looking grim!

Existing spindles measure:
    Backing plate bolt pattern- 3-1/4"Wx1-7/8"H
    Spindle OAL- 4-3/4"
    Spindle large bearing diameter- 1-3/16"
    Spindle small bearing diameter- 3/4"
    Spindle thread- 5/8"-18
    Spindle kingpin length- 5"

2. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like Willys to me.

X38 likes this.
  3. WTF really

WTF really

I'm new to this bit don't see anything ford there.

4. Fordors

Fordors

Agreed^^^

RonaldR likes this.

5. Fordors

Fordors

See that tag riveted on the left frame rail just in front of the spring shackle? Looks like it has 77 stamped on it, I believe that is the serial number plate location for a Model 77 Willys , the 77's were produced from 1933-1936. What else is stamped on that tag?

6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Willys 77, 'I' beam center bar, solid rounds on the ends.
    Body looks more like a '29, and that's an 'A'.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  7. Rubrmat

Rubrmat

Great everyone! This is looking promising. Now it will just be a matter of finding the appropriate hubs and backing plates. Thanks again!

8. Rubrmat

Rubrmat

Well it looks like trying to find these hubs and backing plates will be more difficult than anticipated. Is there anyone out there who may have a lead on hubs and backing plates for a Willys Model 77 early (narrow) front axle? Although all I need are the hubs and backing plates, I understand they may need to come with a whole axle. It seems many folks had swapped their Willys axle for a narrowed Ford, so there must be some floating around there somewhere!

HELP!

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Lots of those got pushed thru the 1/4 under Willys gassers. Few had front brakes...

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Definitely Willys. Willys had 2 different size KP diam. Not positive but early 11/16" or 3/4" and later (hyd. brake) 3/4" or 13/16". Its been a long time. On the expensive end there is Wilwood on the cheap end is looking through bearing books and trying to match up bearings with the hubs of other cars. If I find more info I'll pass it on to you.

Pat

11. Rubrmat

Rubrmat

I have been considering the route of no front brakes as well. I just figured if I could get them, they'd be worth having, even if I don't use them!

Thanks for the info.

12. Rubrmat

Rubrmat

Thanks Pat, any information you find and can pass along is greatly appreciated. I wish there were a Willys website with collections of specifications somewhere!

13. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Rubrmat it's all homework, years of owning, building, trading and working in the auto parts, machinist, engineering. Having good friends and mentors.

Pat