Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front Axle Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by riseabove_xxx, Nov 2, 2011.

1. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

Im taking apart my front axle that i have and I took out the bolt thats on theside of the axle. Now I need to get the king pin out. How do I do that? Is it pressed in there? I tried hammering it out but that didnt work. I can get pictures if needed.

its a 1931 ford axle

2. Take a couple of Ball Peen hammers and beat around on the spindle when the king pin passes though. Then get yourself a punch and a hammer. make sure the axle is back up on something solid and put the punch on the end of the kin pin and larrup the hell out of it.

3. 117harv

117harv

And to add to porknbeaner's reply...WD-40 or similar and lots of cussing:D

4. "A" kingpins are hollow, you need to make sure you use the right size punch, if it is too small it will tend to "bell" out the kingpin and it won't ever come out without cutting.
    If it doesn't come out with a reasonable amount of smacking, either heat the axle eye
    with a real torch or try to find someone that can fit it in their press (and you still might
    need a torch).

5. Little Terry

Little Terry

I would go for the press and torch options first. It's easier than you think to spoil the pins by hammering.

6. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

x2

Heat and a press if you have one.

7. I always use an old used 1/2 drive socket just a hair smaller than the king pin...does not bell the end of king pin...

8. 94hoghead

94hoghead

X3, much easier and lots less cussing......

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An old but slightly smaller diameter king pin makes a decent punch for that too but if you can get it to a press before you beat on it it should be a lot easier.

It's worth it to pay someone in a machine shop a few bucks to press them out and it will save a lot of frustration.

10. flatford39

flatford39

This is exactly how I do it as well with a short extention. Although
    I use a 3/8 drive. I put my axle in my vice and hit the homemade tool with a 3# sledge and alot of PB Blaster.

Once you break them loose they come out pretty easy. Of course that socket and extention will never be used for its intended use again so pick one your not to fond of.

11. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Get yourself an oxy/acetylene torch and a bmfh and a press if you have access to one. Heat the axle, insert something slightly smaller than the kingpin on top of it to beat on, have the axle in a vice and whop on it, once it moves a little it will press out fairly easy. We had to use a sledge and heat on the last one I did if that tells you anything.

12. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

thanks dudes...
    ill take another shot at it tomorrow.

13. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Put a small bolt in the hollow center of the king pin and get out your air chisel and put a couple raps on the bolt that you put inside the kp and it will come out.Air chisel will make it easier with a tad bit of heat but not usually necessary.

14. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

I tried a snap on air chisel with allot of air pressure going to it back when I did mine and it didn't do anything to budge it, not even a little. Some of them are just too froze up from sitting in the open.

15. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

The air chisel has worked everytime for me usually the king pins arent too tough it's the perches that take heating then air chiselling to get out without mushrooming.The perches really seem to get rusted in there.