Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front airbag and coil spring stacked?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64starfire, Aug 13, 2010.

1. 64starfire

64starfire

So there's a lot that goes around on the ride of airbags, height, angle, etc etc. But this was a passing idea that I haven't seen yet. Use a shorter coil spring that has a same factory spring rate with a T shaped mounting plate on top for the bag to mount to. The bottom of the T would be a tube that would fit the inner dia of the spring. The idea is that the bag would only be for changing ride height, the spring would still do most of the work. My Olds has pretty tall springs/deep spring pockets so I don't see why it wouldn't all fit height wise. Just for reference...http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-5-1-2-Inch-x-9-1-2-Inch-Front-Springs,23704.html...big variety of spring rates. I'm not even sure of my cars spring dia at the moment.

I realize it's not a perfect idea but would be interested if you or anyone you know has tried this. I tried googling it a bit but didn't find anything. And after a little thought process, you'd probably have to run a little stiffer spring since the airbag is probably going to absorb some of the movement. I guess my biggest reason for this idea is the front of my Olds is pretty heavy which would require big bags, thus trimming the frame pocket (I always like the idea of being able to go back to stock). And big bags always run the risk of rubbing, and require more volume of air. Also, if the bag failed, you would still have spring action though not sure if it would stay in place.

2. yes... ya dont even have to make a kit.. there are manufacturers that have air bag inserts that go inside of a spring... theres also a porsche gt1 running arround phoenix with spring and air bag set up. (i helped put that shit in too)

3. chop32

chop32

Off the top of my head Im thinking that the flexibility of the bag couldnt keep the top of the spring in line. In other words, the spring would cause the bag to cock sideways (actually outwards) distorting (if not tearing) the bag.
    You would be better off with a bag inside the spring with an external shock, but I dont think you would get much height adjustment out of it.

4. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Hydro guys have been doing this for years, but for air bags it is not a good idea. Why? because the air pressure in the bag creates its own spring rate that is different from the actual spring you would use. In short it would be a waste of money and energy to make this setup.

On a side not your car is not any heavier then a 58 Chevy with a 348 or a 55-60
    Caddy and those can run a 7 inch bag without mods to the frame and actually ride better then if you went to an 8 inch.

5. 64starfire

64starfire

Really though, isn't it all a waste of money and energy? I mean we could all just drive honda civic's...lol

Just because I'd be willing to try it....because I'm that guy.

6. i dont see why this would be done.an airbag and a spring? as said above they sale long inserts that go up into the spring cups to take the distance away so you can use a short bag in place of a long spring. my daily pickup has this setup on it.

sounds like a not so good idea...at all

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As for a bag over a spring, or vice-versa, too complicated to build, too little functional benefit, and too hard fit into the space available.

A bag inside of a spring would work just fine, but where is the real benefit if you goal is to be able to change ride height? Most bag-inside-spring systems are to be able to change overall spring rate, like for extra load capacity, or changing track conditions, and not primarily for height adjustment, although they will do that a little too.

The only way that I could see it working is to have a coil-over setup, running a coil and a strut-bag consecutively on the shock body. This is not at all unlike an off-road truck. Examples can be found with up to three separate coil springs, separated by nylon glides. The problem is that once you get all of this together in a fashion that would function, it would be pretty tall, and expensive.

Factor in the physics of having a steel spring fighting with a rubber bladder during compression and rebound, and you may have just found a new fast way to rupture an air bag.

Bag failures are extremely rare if you install them properly. I have installed somewhere near 200, of which 8 are on heavily abused off-road vehicles, and have had 0 failures.

Your Olds will ride very nicely on a 7" bag.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

would work with hydros but not bags. the bag is still going to have it's own spring rate depending on the air in it. You'd be way better off with a straight up air ride setup, if you go this way you'll still need the big bag to support the Olds wether you have short springs or not.