Register now to get rid of these ads!

Front 4-bar radious rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GEORGE TAYLOR, Oct 24, 2011.

1. GEORGE TAYLOR

GEORGE TAYLOR
    from MAINE

Am going to switch from par. leaf springs on my tube axle anglia gasser to a 4-bar coil over set-up.

I can only seem to find a std. radious rod that has bushings.
    I can buy weld on brackets for the tube axle from speed way and want to have the bars with a heavy duty heim rather than a clevious or welded end.

So, where can I find the raw bar material, the weld in bungs etc.?
    Also any advice in size? The front brackets from speedway have a 5/8"
    hole

help please

2. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

A lot of people swear by tie rod ends rather than Heims; they are often more durable. Clevises don't belong on a 4-bar, as you need to provide for at least a little motion. Clevises on hairpins are moot: there's hardly any relative motion at the axle end.

If your bars are to have tie rod ends or Heim joints at both ends it makes sense to make them up. On some T-buckets the consideration is largely aesthetic, and 3/4" or 7/8" solid round bar is often used. Then it's just a matter of drilling and tapping the ends. If performance is a concern I'd submit that solid bars are too heavy, and would rather weld solid bar ends onto tubular links.

3. oj

oj

What you need is xmoly stuff and tubing adaptors or tubing weld nuts. If you deal with mcmaster-carr i can give you thier part numbers. Or get the stuff from drag race suppliers - the chassis shop, bickel, rick jones - theres a bunch of them. Or i can send it to you, rooman and king chassis would have it too.
    You can go with 1" X .065 (kinda heavy but easy to weld), mcmastercarr # 89955K63, per 6' length; tubing weld fittings, 94640A240 RH thread & 94640A244 LH thread. These will take you to 1/2" threaded heims# 4483T6, specify RH or LH - don't forget the locknuts.

4. Pro Shifted

Pro Shifted

5. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Any good steel supply or fab shop should be able to get what you need , I used 7/8 x .156 wall DOM tubing[ taps 5/8 -18 w/o machining] , speedway has 4-bar ends that are poly bushed..

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  7. Speedy Bill also carries the weld in bungs if you want to use larger, thinner tubing. If you want true heavy duty heims, I would go with Aurora. They are more expensive, but you know what you are getting.

8. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal