Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods From Tempest to Model A?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zettle Bros., Apr 28, 2020.

1. DenverFlash

DenverFlash

You'd regret selling the Pontiac, they seem to look better & better as time goes by and it's getting really hard to find one that nice. Loved my '65 GTO (years ago); great size, simple & fun. I'd definitely keep the Tempest and save up for a Model A.

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'm a Pontiac guy. I also really like Model A's. I can't help.

3. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I have owned some nice 60s GM cars over the years and they are great cars - your Tempest sure looks nice. But the Model A sure looks like a lot of fun although I have never owned or driven one.
    I would rather own the Model A because it looks so cool and I have never owned one before. Try owning both if possible for awhile...Let them compete for your love - keep the winner and sell the loser!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Hombre and Zettle Bros. like this.
  4. flatford39

flatford39

Please keep the poncho....it's a much safer car you can enjoy with your family a lot easier then the A sedan.

Zettle Bros. likes this.
  5. I'm a Ford guy, but that Tempest really is tempting! Change the wheels and tires and it would be perfect.

Zettle Bros. likes this.
  6. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

It is in the back.

7. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Thanks for the help guys. It really is a tough call. I can't swing two cars at this time so it has to be one or the other. Still tossing around what would be practical. I would love to check out the A first hand but, it's 4 hours away and at this time with the "Social Distancing" it's not really easy too do.

chevy57dude likes this.
  8. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

The model A's have peaked and are slowly coming down in price. The Tempest is a great car and yours appears to be an outstanding example, needing nothing. The Tempest is practical , for a performance car. In ten years the Tempest will have doubled in value and and if you buy the Model A, in ten years you will have already sold it.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Drive over and look at it. That may change your mind either way real fast. Did the owner build it? Is the engine a painted and detailed 80,000 mile junkyard bomb or all new build? Any progress photos of the body/bodywork prior to paint? Receipts? etc, etc.
    4 hours isn't bad. Leave at 6:00 AM, look at the car, get some lunch and be home by late afternoon. Weather is good and not much traffic to deal with.

You've had the Tempest only a year and are already contemplating a Hot Rod. You're gonna have to be the one to decide what you REALLY want to settle into. The fact that you're asking here tells me you're still not 100% sure. That's ok, just be sure you're comfortable driving that A as it's 180 from the Tempest.

Is the A owner up for an up/down trade?

Me? I'm with the thought of keeping/participating with the Tempest while you save to build an A. They're still plentiful and reasonable and with the economic situation, you're going to see bargains on project rollers and parts for months to come...

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

How about keeping the Tempest -- Drive and enjoy it. In the meantime, start saving to buy/build a Model A. There will always be some for sale, whether finished, stalled project or otherwise.

After putting 50k miles on my roadster, I drive my '62 Ford Galaxie wagon far more often..

11. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

That’s the model A that was at the iron invasion and picture is from the iron invasion as well. A friend built that car and is Very Well built car and a great looking car. Man thats a tough one but you have been looking for a model a for some time now . I’m going to say model A because its a Hotrod and doesn’t take as much garage space...

12. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hard spot to be in, I love Pontiac's and I really love Model A's. The Model A you pictured is a very cool car it appears to be anyway. Your Pontiac is also a nice looking car. So you have to ask your self which Itch do I scratch? No matter what anyone says a Model A "CAN" be just as safe as any Pontiac. There is not much that is very practical about this sport or the cars, so I completely dismiss that practical argument. For me the choice would be an easy one, I would jump on the Model A just as fast as I could. But hey I am a Hot Rod guy...

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

The model a is cool.. If it was a coupe it might be tempting, but I'd still keep the Tempest....

lothiandon1940 and Zettle Bros. like this.
  14. belair

belair

15. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

If you are only going to have one car the hard truth is the Tempest is just more practical. The model A is a great hot rod for a guy who already has another more well rounded car to drive. Just my opinion.

Zettle Bros. and upspirate like this.
  16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Random question -- are those truck tires on your Tempest?

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I did something similar, I traded a big block Chevelle for a Model A pickup. I can tell you for sure that the Model A will be faster, quicker and just a more thrilling ride than the Tempest. Even at the same miles per hour the sensation of speed is greater in the A. It's quicker handling, and better feel at the controls, you feel more a part of the car in motion than in the bigger 60's car which isolates you more from the road. And you'll get far more attention driving it on the road than you will with the Tempest, about 100x more. People of all ages will look and smile, nod their heads, talk to you at gas stations, at stop lights, even driving down the road they'll roll down the window and yell to you about your car; that will never happen with the Tempest. It may be a tough call, but I made the trade and never looked back.

18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The very first muscle car I’ve ever driven was a 65 tempest.
    Scared the living shit out of me as a 16 yr old in 1969.
    The torque was addictive.
    Model A’s are cool but about as popular as 32’s.
    Stick with the Pontiac, you’ll never have another chance.
    Build a Model A later.

Zettle Bros. likes this.
  19. Gman0046

Gman0046

For me its a no brainer. Model A's are too small and are a dime a dozen and will never ride as well as the Tempest. Not usually a Tempest fan (because most are turned into GTO clones) but yours looks great. You can always swap the 326 for a 389 or 400. Think how cool that would be.
    Guess you can tell I'm a Pontiac guy by my avatar.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Zettle Bros. and 31 B'ville like this.
  20. I'd try to keep both, but the Tempest looks real clean, and practical, especially for long distance touring. I'm sort of looking for a Chevelle of that vintage, still going to keep my coupe, and 2 other projects.

Zettle Bros. likes this.
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Model A's are a dime a dozen? Where the hell is that, I want to go buy a few dozen.

22. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

I’m a Pontiac guy, so I say keep the Tempest.
    But every once in a while you come across a car that turns you on and you feel like you have to get it. So go with your gut I guess.
    If I had more indoor storage I’d have a LOT more cars. I just bought a rental property a few months back with a detached 2 car garage! So I see more cars in my future. :)

Zettle Bros. likes this.
  23. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

No there not.

24. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

I'd have to agree with that statement. The Tempest is a nice, and a cool car but the driving experience in my opinion is kind of stale. I had the T bucket first and your right, nothing like a old hot rod to get peoples attention!! Then there was the AWB Falcon. That was like driving hell on wheels. I thought I was ready for a cruising car but now I'm not so sure. 21246596_332788600504878_6317730371749045656_o.jpg 21366869_332788657171539_1310015355920899177_o.jpg

kiwijeff, Blues4U and scrap metal 48 like this.
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always appreciate the various comments and points of view.

But sometimes I'm surprised. I would have guessed that almost everybody here would prefer a hot rod Model A over a 60s model. Not necessarily so... for a number of good reasons stated.

Based on everything I know and probably also due to some things I'm not aware of, and the fact that as with others, I've also never had the pleasure of owning one, I'd probably choose an early hot rod. But that Tempest is a nice car. If I had to trade it to get a hot rod, that hot rod better be exactly what I want or close enough that few modifications would make it so.

Somebody said go take it for test drive. Yeah... a nice long test drive. Put the car and yourself to the test. Might make up your mind for you.

Blues4U and Zettle Bros. like this.
  26. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The A is a sedan. Nothing against it, I have one, but it isn't a coupe or roadster. Next year you will find another or five A's for sale. Will you find another Tempest for sale? I would pass on the sedan and wait for a coupe if you really want an A. Meantime you have the Tempest.

ADDED AFTER READING YOUR ABOVE POST.
    I have a stock A roadster and then I bought a 2 door sedan. The sedan was boring. I then did it as an AV-8. Much better but still not a roadster. Seeing that you had a T-bucket, I would say wait to find an A roadster.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    scrap metal 48 and Zettle Bros. like this.
  27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course there are plenty of guys here who have shared with us...

"I went to look at a car, not really intending to buy, but..."
    Often, they might add...
    "Now what?"
    No rash decisions, now. LOL
    Good luck. For sure let us know what you decide.

Zettle Bros. likes this.
  28. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

X2

Zettle Bros. likes this.
  30. If the A Bone was a roadster, maybe. Definitely keep the Poncho.

kidcampbell71 and Zettle Bros. like this.