Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Friday night fun?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhutch, Mar 6, 2020.

1. jhutch

jhutch

Well, this is a post half venting and half asking for ideas. On a trip a few weeks ago in my 62 Bel Air Wagon, the axle slipped out of the bearing resulting in a tow home. Now, this happened 2 years before, found another set of used axles, new bearings pressed on etc. had it done at a shop.

So, I decide I’m done with old axles. I but a brand new set of forged axles from Moser. These look great. Came with retaining plate and new bearing and retainer. I put the one side in - perfect fit.

The bad side - the bearing is lodged in the axle. I tried the slide hammer for way longer than i should have. I decided I’d try to make a tool to pull the bearing out! It still won’t budge. I’ve tried some lubricant on there. Whats next? Fire? Sawsall? [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd heat up the axle housing from behind the backing plate to expand it. And with that puller (pretty neat ), it should slide right out .

jhutch, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I hope the all-thread and the bearing retainer plate can take the strain. Good luck!!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Knock the center race and rollers out of the bearing and run a bead of weld around the inside of the outer race and it will fall out

5. empty the housing, and with a long steel rod, beat bearing out from opposite side.

6. beater40

beater40

Did you give the tension bolt a hit on the head try and shock it, nip it tighter, hit it repeat.

Sent from my VFD 710 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

X-cpe, jhutch and loudbang like this.
  7. leon bee

leon bee

Did you use an impact with your puller?

8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

It also looks to me as if the retainer plate your using is a bit thin . The puller is a piece of art , it should work fine if the plate don’t give up the chase first . As suggested heat on the outside of the housing at the bearing retainer while pulling . If the bearing pulls apart , again as suggested weld a bead 360* around the rest the bearing still in the housing and I’m betting also it will fall out . There is no way to saw or chisel a bearing race in two , you will probably be hurt by flying chunks of you chisel and the saw blade will get the nicest rainbow color you’ve ever witnessed , a die grinder with a small cut off wheel can be CAREFULLY used to cut a slice in the race and release the press-fit tension , also you can use a burr to grind a path all way across the bearing until it is thin and looks blue . Once you are thin and blue hit that area with a chisel and a sharpe blow and it will crack freeing the press tension also . Good Luck and this is a wear the PPE for sure while attacking this Mother In Law of a mess .

Deuces likes this.
  9. jhutch

jhutch

Thanks everyone for the suggests! I’ll let you know how i make out!

Deuces and J_J2 like this.
  10. jhutch

jhutch

I gave on my tool. Clever tho it seemed, it wasn’t getting the job done. So, out came the other axle and pumpkin and drove a long breaker bar thru and gave it a good wailing. It still didnt budge for bit but it finally broke free! My 86-yo aircraft mechanic neighbor (and hes got a few hot rods too) came by provided moral support. He said “the bearing is rusted in there. Let me know tomorrow”. Well, sure enough I think he was onto something.

The pumpkin was gooped with gasket maker so my guess is water over the years had probably made its way in. With the help of another buddy. We cleaned it all up good, got as much of the old gear fluid out as possible, scotchbrighted the end of the axle where the bearing sits and got it all back together. My neighbor recommneded a thin layer of grease so the bearing will slide in a little better and also to keep the rust down I guess.

I’ll let it all cure for the night and put fluid in her tomorrow and see how she goes!

Thanks for everyones advice![​IMG]

loudbang, arkiehotrods and Deuces like this.
  11. sevenhills1952

sevenhills1952

Thank you for posting the fix! Most people post a problem but never take time when the repair is made which helps others.
    Moser axles are really good also. You made a good choice.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

loudbang, Deuces and stillrunners like this.
  12. you're welcome

loudbang, jhutch and Deuces like this.
  13. Good job !

loudbang, jhutch and Deuces like this.