Register now to get rid of these ads!

friction shock construction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atotalnincompoop, Jan 2, 2010.

1. after looking though the archive on here at different peoples friction shock setups i have decided to make my own set.
    i could't find a thread that states specifically what the friction material is that should be used.
    if anyone has a link to a thread showing the making of friction shocks or has made some themselves, i would appreciate yoiur input:D

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Rubber or leather, traditionally.

3. 117harv

117harv

Plastic discs and leather, alternating each, three plastic two leather usually 3" diameter. Also i have seen people use some type of clutch disc material, so that the clutch material spins together, and a disc of plastic between the clutch material and the steel or aluminum housing.

The plasic i'm refering to is industrial, i think it's called uhmv? and comes in different thicknesses and wear ratings, as well as colors.

4. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

The Hartford friction shock, which dates back to the teens I believe, is still available as are spare parts.

The discs are a special wood.

Here's the web site...

http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/en/list+andre+hartford+shock+absorber/

<TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR noShade SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>12612 - friction wood disc type 298</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=ttext>early type friction disc/wood, 80mm x 38mm x 5mm thick </TD></TR><TR><TD class=ttext colSpan=2>£4.33 for 1 each View part »»</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR noShade SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>858 - friction wood disc type 302</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=ttext>early style friction disc/wood 88mm x 38mm x 5mm thick </TD></TR><TR><TD class=ttext colSpan=2>£4.66 for 1 each View part »»</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR noShade SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>12601 - friction wood disc type 306</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=ttext>early type friction disc/wood 112mm x 38mm x 5mm thick </TD></TR><TR><TD class=ttext colSpan=2>£4.93 for 1 each View part »»</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR noShade SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>12652 - friction wood disc type 502</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=ttext>later type friction disc/wood, small 84mm x 42mm either 2.5mm (thin) or 4.00mm (thick) approx thickness. </TD></TR><TR><TD class=ttext colSpan=2>£3.93 for 1 each View part »»</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2><HR noShade SIZE=1></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>12588 - friction wood disc type 506</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=ttext>later style friction large disc/wood, 106mm x 42mm either 2.5mm (thin) or 4.0mm (thick) approx thickness </TD></TR><TR><TD class=ttext colSpan=2>£4.06 for 1 each View part »»</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5. designs that work

designs that work

Making your own friction shocks is very simple and inexpensive. You can use wood, leather or plastic, I used 3/16th UHMW. Ultra High Molecular Weight. I mounted my shocks transverslie,sp, the same way a model a spring. Welded a 3/16 plate to the frame with a 3/8 inch hole. Used a hole saw to cut two pieces of UHMW and one 1/4 inch aluminum plate per side. Flame cut a 1/4 inch arm and used two heim joints to attach to axel. Frame plate is hidden by first plastic, lever arm next, second plastic and aluminum on the out side. Use a grade 5 or 8 bolt with a nylock nut, tighten nut and bolt to increase friction. Some people use a small valve spring to keep tension on shock.
    Good Luck DT

6. Hartfords are still available and all the parts as well- the tension "stars" are fairly inexpensive.

Here's a site that sells them: vintagecarparts.co.uk

7. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I used a clutch/brake material available from McMaster- Carr. Many thickness and friction coefficients available.