The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anothercarguy, Apr 16, 2016.
Man, this is a bit of a cliffhanger. Let us in on the finale when done.........
Thanks for the info and the link to your build thread. Nice work!
You are welcome and I will be eagerly awaiting the outcome of your modifications.
Ok, I know this thread is over a month old, but for the sake of those that followed it and were very helpful in making suggestions I thought I would give an update of the total of my findings (now that the motor is re-assembled and running smoothly and quietly...as it should).
This motor was an example of some really nice parts assembled poorly (or without the due diligence normally associated with a performance engine build. My mistake was assuming that it had all been carefully checked when the PO (and his engine guy)initially assembled (yet another lesson learned the hard way)!
So, I already mentioned the distributor bolts that were too long and hit the cam gear, and of course there was the 59AB crankshaft with the 49-53 rods that created the oiling issue to begin with. Other findings and sources for the cacophony of noise that emanated from this motor...the heads of the bolts that held the flywheel where too tall and made contact with the springs in the clutch plate (bolt heads were cut down on my lathe to correct)...the electrodes on the Autolite 4316 sparkplugs where flattened after having made contact with the valves (replaced with NGK B4L's...that were indexed with washers such that the electrodes were vertical and between the valves)...and finally the original Eddie Meyer heads required significant carving out (and re-polishing) in the combustion chambers as they were contacting a number of pistons and valves (especially as the engine warmed up and parts began expanding, I assume someone back in the day must have milled the heads).
Anyway, it's all running as it should now...and I can tidy up the shop after the thrash and prepare to work on upholstery.
Thanks all again, Tim
Thanks for sharing,glad to see its all sorted.
You take it to Luke?
Yes, I took my pile of parts to Luke. He had a '49-53 crank that was already cut and polished, he installed the replacement cam bearings and arranged for the balancing of the crank. I then assembled (a couple of times before I found all the sources of noise...and I carved and polished the heads).
I hadn't worked with Luke before. He's is a good guy to work with and knows his stuff.
Wow, what a thread...Perfect example of what this Forum is all about.
Very interesting and extremely informative
Glad you got it all figured out and running correctly.
You sure have my respect for your patience and mechanical abilities....
I enjoy reading your article on your flathead and leand somthing. Ihave a mod a roaderst with a flathead that need rebuilding, i also have three more long block to used. when the time and money to take one block to the shop.would you let me know the cost for your shop rebuild.
Thanks, that was not only interesting reading but educational.
Hi Doyle...I've sent you a private conversation
Separate names with a comma.