Register now to get rid of these ads!

frenching the merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60chev, Feb 14, 2012.

1. 60chev

60chev
    from Australia

Hey there i went in to the shed today where the mercury lives i want to french the head lights is it as easy as putting the head light bucket inside the guard and welding the crome head light bezel to the guard or is there a kit you can buy or has anyone got pics of how its done its a 1950 mercury thanks for your help

2. Well, yes and no. You will want to grind the lip off the headlight bucket before you mount it from the back side. Then you can weld the trim ring to the outside....assuming it is steel and not stainless. Depending on the look you want, you can use the Stock (or similar steel ring) and french them or use something like the 52-54 Mercury ring with the stainless inner ring that will have more of a tunneled look. Check out the HAMB Merc Club thread for tons of pics. Off the top of my head, the Sam Barris Merc had frenched headlights and the Hirohata Merc has the tunneled look with the later ring.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Google: How to french headlights. Lots of info. appears. Decide if you want "tunnelled'
    or traditional frenched lights.

4. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

52-54 merc headlights work best for this. i believe night prowlers sells the complete setup.

5. Yup they do on both accounts.

Jim you are still alive!! Good to see you posting.

6. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I used the Night Prowlers '52-'54 Merc rings and welded them to my fenders, then skimmed some filler to smooth them out.....worked very well.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CB

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

If you arn't a ''kit'' or creditcard kinda builder (nothing wrong with either) check out stainless steel salid bowls from Goodwill or the dollar store:D Some of us have even been known to Bogart items from Momma's kitchen---REMEMBER, if you get caught, I didn't put you up to it!;)

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

8. 52-54 Merc/Ford rings!!!

Attached Files:

9. chopo

chopo

i fully expected to see a pic of your tongue in the grill of your car

10. elricho

elricho

Ring the boys at Johns Rod and Kustom in vic-they sell the rings.

11. 60chev

60chev
    from Australia

thanks very much great help

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

these are the stock 49-50 rings welded on. doesnt give it the tunneled look though if thats what your after

Attached Files:

14. 51 mercules

51 mercules

These are stock 51 rings.

Attached Files:

15. stationstuff

stationstuff
    from ohio

Here's how I did it, I mounted the headlight bucket from the inside of the fender then welded the stock stainless steel bezel to the fender with a mig using stainless wire then molded it in. I guess it depends on the look you want I myself don't really care for that tunneled look but when you need to replace the headlight you need to do it inside the fender but the outside is a cleaner smoother look & it was cheap & easy. Good luck! Fred

Attached Files:

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.