Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frenching Headlights on my 51 Chevy. Opinions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John B, Feb 24, 2004.

1. John B

John B

The time to seriously start thinking about frenching my headlights has come. Here's my question. I've looked at two different methods.
    First is to use a set of 52-54 Merc rings

or the second is to use the factory bezels.

I have the parts to go either direction. So my question to you all is- What is your preference? I'm divided on how I want to go about this. The car will be a mild custom. Will the Merc rings be a little to much in comparison to the simple hood emblem shave and bullnose it's already received? I read the article in the new R & C (factory bezels) and an article in Super Rod a year or so ago( merc bezels), so I've schooled my self on this some. I've even done the work before on older vehicles but since this is my vehicle I'm proceeding cautiously. I'm asking you people for advice or just opinions.

2. I would use the stock rings..

3. burger

burger

The stock bezels look pretty good. R&C has a tech article this month on the exact job you're thinking about doing.

Ed

4. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

John:I used the stock rims as I like the flush look. For your info, the first set I had were BRASS. I didn't know there were any brass one's out there. If yours are and you need some steel one's, let me know as I have a couple of extra sets that you could have.

I also have a bunch of pic's that I took during the process of the frenching that I would be glad to email you if you need them.

B [​IMG] B

5. [ QUOTE ]

The stock bezels look pretty good. R&C has a tech article this month on the exact job you're thinking about doing.

Ed

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, Just what i had in mind!

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

What month? What's on the cover? They get so far out ahead in the circulation dates....it's probably the August issue. [​IMG] I am interested in this as well.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nothing on their website about it.....dang.

8. theirs a gren 50's chebbie with a lite green top, next to a flat black vert merc, masked off with a guy(who really does look like Packrat32) that has a paint gun... right infront of a speed shop.....

9. Root
    The issue is may2004. There is a pic of a chopped n channeled A bone sedan in the top righthand corner.An a body shop with Chebby (green?) and one in primer, with a Hot Wheels lookin custom in the background.
    I'm probably completely wrong about everything except the date and the A-Bone. OH well...

No back to the topic, the stock rings are the way to go. I personally prefer 'em tunneled, but what your after needs 'em done flush with the stock rings.

What's that smell, oh must be my opinion [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. mikes51

mikes51

I don't think the Merc rings with the chrome inner bezel would be too much. My opinion is it's more important that the frenched ring matches the shape of the fender. In other words, as the fender curves down toward the ring, you shouldn't see a change in shape/curve where the fender meets the welded ring.

There was a good post about this a long time ago, especially relating to using the Chev rings where you can't get to the lamp anymore from the front. Someone had posted pics about the rear mounted headlight bucket and making the adjusting screws operable from inside the fender.

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, what about the adjustment and changing the bulb? This is the one thing that has prevented me from doing it.

12. mikes51

mikes51

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, what about the adjustment and changing the bulb? This is the one thing that has prevented me from doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]The post about that, maybe a year or two ago, I remember because there was a good solution to that. It might have been someone from Rolls and Pleats mag who posted it.

Anyway, the headlight bucket is mounted from the back and not the front anymore. Then the bucket was modified so that thumbscrew type devices replaced the original headlamp angle adjusting screws. The new thumbscrews you could turn from inside the fender, therefore you don't need to remove the bucket to adjust.

13. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

I skimmed throught that article Dago. Looks like they were having some trouble with dissimilar metals. Having problems welding it.

15. DrJ

DrJ

I think it depends on what era look you are after, and that will include the hubcaps, and other things.
    If you're using Caddy Sombrero caps, say, go with the stock lights frnched with the beam flush with.
    If you have mid 50s flipper caps, either Dodge or Olds then go with the tunnelled Merc lights.
    Also, Sombreros go with skirts, Flippers go more with no skirts or even radiused, opened up rear wheel wells.
    No, that's not a rule, there are no rules, that's just the way the trends ran in the mid 50's. [​IMG]

16. John B

John B

Dr. J. , I'm running a set of 54 Caddy caps, stock skirts and plan on keeping the factory grille for awhile. Now what do you think?

17. Tony

Tony

[ QUOTE ]
    theirs a gren 50's chebbie with a lite green top, next to a flat black vert merc, masked off with a guy(who really does look like Packrat32) that has a paint gun... right infront of a speed shop.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha..dude, yer killing me!!
    I gotta send you a pic of me.. [​IMG]

On my '53 i first used the stock bezels. I did it the same way R/C did the ones in the mag.
    But....after looking at it for a while after they were done, i decided to change them.
    So after finishing the stock ones...i tore it apart again.

I bought a set of the merc rings. I have the drivers side done now, and going to start on the pass this weekend.

I agree with Dr.J.
    My '53 when i run caps will have Lancers and no skirts.

One of the reasons i decided to change them was i wanted a little brightwork around the headlights, and i like the stainless ring on the Merc's.

Rat.....

18. Roothawg

Roothawg

How about posting pics of the 2 different side Rat? I have a hard time visualizing the difference. I'm a touchy feely guy.. [​IMG]

19. Tony

Tony

Root,
    I don't have any shots of the merc one's yet. I'll take one later tonight, and post both before and now.
    I have some other pics to size up so i'm gonna be using photoshop anyway.

Rat......

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Cool........I am working on the rear of the car working my way forward. Trying to get all the "rough-in" done so I can start looking towards blocking the car.

21. v8minor

v8minor

I am messing around with the lights on my 50 . These rings are of a morris minor I have made the repair patch on the fender to suit the rings . Bolted the light to the inside of the fender.I was going to use fine chrome mesh for the inside of the ring.Will this fit in with my idea of a early kustom , or should I weld the old rings on and paint them?

Attached Files:

22. Tony

Tony

Ok, here's a pic of it when i used the stock bezels.
    (i know this pic has been posted a few time's, sorry..it was the only one that had a good shot of the headlights)

[​IMG]

Here's the drivers side now with the Merc ring. Like i said, i havn't gotten to the pass side yet.

I mounted the bucket on the inside of the fender on both applications..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Root, like you i'm doing all the rough work first, although i started on the top first, then the front to back.
    I want to get it relatively straight now, then shoot the high build primer to block it out..

Rat......

23. [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    theirs a gren 50's chebbie with a lite green top, next to a flat black vert merc, masked off with a guy(who really does look like Packrat32) that has a paint gun... right infront of a speed shop.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha..dude, yer killing me!!
    I gotta send you a pic of me.. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive seen ya before, at york when i was taking pictures of your truck.... Have you seen that mag, it does look like ya...Im serious [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

24. Do it the old way- FUCK those HAGAN Gay rings...........Gawwwd-they make me hurl........ [​IMG]

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

No hagan rings....I think they are ugly.

So how did the old bezels weld up?

26. Roothawg

Roothawg

27. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

i think i'm going with the factory rings on my pontiac, and was damned glad to see the article. i think they'd suit my color scheme better with factory bezels used. only problem is they're stainless. anybody know how stainless would jive with steel when attempting to weld them?

28. John B

John B

[ QUOTE ]
    No hagan rings....I think they are ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats one option I never even gave the first thought to. Looks too modern to me.

29. mikes51

mikes51

[ QUOTE ]
    I was going to use fine chrome mesh for the inside of the ring.Will this fit in with my idea of a early kustom

[/ QUOTE ]

Mesh is a good styling cue from the 50's. In most cases I think a welded, frenched in ring is more custom. But those chrome ones you have are very slim, and look custom unwelded in chrome.

30. John B

John B

At this point I'm leaning towards the stock rings. Anyone want to change my mind? If I go with the stock rings I'll have a new set of Merc Rings for sale or trade.

Bob K - I may have to take you up on that offer. I'm pretty sure mine are brass as well. There's a local guy who has a field full but I'm not sure how our business relationship is right now. We disagreed over his prices last time I talked to him. He's an odd sort of feller.