Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Frenched License Plates... Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by worthop, Jun 12, 2016.

1. worthop

worthop

Anybody have pics of theirs ? Not sure if I love em or not....

2. Absolutely YES!....on the right car. Here is a crappy picture of mine on the '35.

Attached Files:

Zapato likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

for your '51 Chevy or ?

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.

5. I totally agree,it depends on the car.

Personally,I tend to think of the french-ed tag as more of a modification for customs but I have seen it on hot rods with mixed results. HRP

lothiandon1940 and dana barlow like this.
  6. an almost useless mod in my opinion
    reminds me of mini trucks
    but that and $5 will get you a coffee at starbucks

Barn Find likes this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

There are mini trucks around here with 'em...but they all look like the last thing done.
    (they're all diagonal, in one corner...look like the final operation on a bondo binge!)
    Creativity breeds faddism.

Saxman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. manyolcars

manyolcars

I agree. Using a square corner rectangle on a car that is entirely rounded is not right. I may not be clear. Dont mix square with round. Remember when square headlights came out and people tried to customize round cars from the 30s and 40s and 50s with them? It doesnt work.

lothiandon1940, X38 and Torana68 like this.
  9. mike bowling

mike bowling

Recessed plates? But of course................. then again, I build my cars to please myself.--- Selfish ,I know. 9-24-12 (49).JPG

10. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

nothing wrong with pleasing yourself I guess :) you guys have any tag/tail light height requirements?

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

License plate ...??? o_O You don't need no stickin' license plate !!! :p

12. This is my sedan and the builder thought a frenched tag would look good,I'm not sold on the look but I'll let the next owner make up his mind whether it stays or goes. HRP

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

At the risk of seeming to be outspoken, I think they scream "Street Rod". Just my personal opinion.

lothiandon1940 and clem like this.
  14. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Would you hang a tag on your rod at all if the government didn't make you? If you build a hot rod to be nonconformist, it would not follow to create such a special place for the tag, unless you're just trying to minimize its presence.

The legal ability to run year-of-manufacture tags is great because it allows us to be nostalgic while being legal.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Asking permission? No.

16. mike bowling

mike bowling

Depends on the application and how the rest of the car is finished, IMO.
    That sedan of mine was no streetrod, that's for sure! Low buck build, BUT it did have a 4 spd., went down the highway at 70 straight as an arrow, and was a ton of fun. I put a tag off a Buick Roadmaster on the back that said "Estate Wagon"- it's all about not taking shit to serious to me- I gotta do that at work all week!

^^^^^^^And Fred's right, it's better to ask forgiveness, than permission!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    volvobrynk and timmy2times like this.
  17. I'm in two minds as well, my 46 coupe has a frenched in rear plate, it was already done when I got it. I have a spare boot lid that I have been thinking of painting replacing it with one day??
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1465814672.069109.jpg

18. LOL..and it helps relieve built up tensions,,LOL

19. Like some have said- I think it depends on the car- typically a mod for 'customs' but can't say it doesn't look ok on a hotrod when done in the overall context of the car.

20. ahshoe

ahshoe

I personally do not like them unless they are radius cornered. I am not crazy about a trunk mounted plate. I like the bumper location with a guard if it has a bumper . But I guess in a few cases I do like them just not with square corners.

volvobrynk and falcongeorge like this.
  21. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That article by Rik nails it. Look at the inset plates done by Westergard.
    It's all in the execution.
    There's a world of styling difference in the vintage custom rounded corner version vs. the more contemporary sheet metal box.

IMHO, they look best on late 30's-late 40's cars. Round cars with rounded corners. They look even better (bonus points) on the vintage large size late 30's- early 50's license plates.

falcongeorge likes this.
  22. Blake 27

Blake 27

It works well on this car. Light wires run inside hinge tubing. DSC08785.JPG DSC08786.JPG DSC08729.JPG

23. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I like them.....but agree, some just don't look right..
    Usually location I think..

24. I give a big thumbs up, YES.

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. I don't know it probably depends on if you get caught pleasing yourself or not. I understand that franklin wrote a book on the subject though.
    mean-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif

Frenched plates can be done quite tastefully or not this one is a little tacky. I don't care much for this one.

[​IMG]

But I like this one real well although I think I would like it better of the car were maroon. :D

[​IMG]

26. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hmmmm.....^^^^^ "Tha'ss what I'm talkin' 'bout..."

28. I agree with the square corner thing, just doesn't look as nice as rounded corners. When I did mine, all the ones I saw were just square boxes, and I figured I could make that. Found one from Watson's Street Works that was pre-made, with radiused corners, and was about as cheap as I could buy the sheet metal. Done deal.

29. Squablow

Squablow

I think it works with a year of manufacture plate best because of the size and rounded corners. Some of the period custom cars had a glass or plastic lens over it to keep the smooth profile of the car and that really looks nice. But a sharp cornered box sunk in with a new modern license plate is not the way to go IMO.

30. from the factory. not mine, but depends on how tasteful the application is done. [​IMG]