Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs French rake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by T-Time, Apr 24, 2009.

1. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I'd like to see some Fifties customs with a French rake. I'm sure that there are already some pics posted on the HAMB, but all I can find are tail draggers. Would somebody either post pics or direct me to all ready posted pics?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what the heck is a French rake? does it involve the tongue somehow?

3. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Opposite of a tail dragger.

Chili Phil's "official" definition:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  4. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think she's wearing braces.....

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

is that anything like a Polish Wheelie?

6. I'd like my wheelie polished.....:)

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

hahahah
    now whould that be your Cheese wheel your talking about?

8. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

i never head of a french rake....round these here parts we either call it tug boating (tail draggin) or stink buggin (parently the french rake).

maybe we can combine these terms and call the french rake the stinky french. just kiddin jacques....its traditional to make fun of the french.

9. Ah yes, the French. Apparnetly their national anthem deals a lot with fighting and old war victories. I guess just because they can't fight, doesn't mean they don't want to.........

10. Wasn't Maurice Chavalier considered a French rake?

11. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

did anyone actually find one for this guy yet?

12. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

If Chili-Phil said it, you know it must be a cool guy thing.

Would explain why I've never heard of it.

13. Slide

Slide

I have some on my computer at home....

14. Famous Tater53

Famous Tater53

Here you go...I can air the front down all the way. Is this what you want?

Attached Files:

15. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

been putzing with modified cars since 1958...read all the magazines..big and little...even MAD on a regular basis. I ain't never heerd of no 'french rake' unless it's some guy from Paris with a small moustache, slicked back hair and a wink that'll send the matrons into a tailspin....

If it's lowered in the rear - it's called a taildragger...shackle job...this is only done to customs (Kustoms for those of you that are purported to be "in with the in crowd").

If it's dumped in front - it's raked....dagoed (from the early Dago dropped axles) this is only done to hot rods. If it's on an even keel and has lake pipes - it's a custom...if it's on an even keel and has any other of the generally-accepted attributes of a 'custom', then it's a custom....

Maybe a french rake is one of those yard tools that's kind of springy??

dj

16. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Maybe it should be called a "Freedom Rake"? :)

"French rake" is a California (L.A., at least) term from the 1950's. No matter what it's called, I'd like to see some customs dumped in the front.

17. RichG

RichG

I had a french leaf rake once. Everytime I tried to use it the head would fall off...

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Monkee on the HAMB has a '53 Ford that has an awesome stance to it. It's not finished but sure looks nice so far!

[​IMG]

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

Never heard of a French Rake. California rake is higher in back.

20. a french rake is one that automatically drops itself and surrenders.

21. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

There was a term that came into favor for a short while, it described a car with a pretty good drop in front and a not so far down drop in the back. This style was called “French Rake.”
    Seemed like the term came in and stayed for only a couple of years.
    The cars that ran it were good looking Shoeboxes, 49-54 Chevy’s and the like and the slight Dago effect with the overall lowness of the car made it in our eyes
    sometimes called 'california rake' too
    The California rake, which has a jacked up rear instead of a lowered one, outlandishly wide tires instead of tires that seem much too small for the car, and a souped up motor instead of one that has been filely ignored." The "East L.A. rake" was part of a new style that was developing.
    From what i can see it applied mostly to lowriders.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto what Propwash said, that is one term I have never heard in the past 50 years of reading rod mags and being around rods and customs.

Lower in front than the back was alway known as dago'ed as far back as I can remember. Or just "raked".

23. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

24. billbrown

billbrown
    BANNED

we here in Indiana call it the Texas Tilt. You mstly find it on 2wd chevy pick ups with air shocks in the back. It is a sad practice. On the other hand, if the stance you are looking for is pictured in the bare metal custom above I would say that it should be named "Exrta Kick-Ass Rake". That car makes me pee a little everytime I see it on here.

25. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Naw. That's different. That's a "jacked-up" car/truck.

26. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

You guys that don't know custom car terminology are killing me. ;) Do a search on the HAMB using the term "French rake" in quotes. The term has been used in quite a few threads over the past five years.

By the way, I know for a fact that at least ONE renowned old-time customizer in California is still using the term. I heard him use it in an interview on TV just last week, recorded at the last Grand National Roadster Show. Basically, he said the caucasions were building customs with French rakes in LA in the Fifties, and the hispanics were building taildraggers. I think that I recorded it. If so, I'll post his exact quote sometime over the weekend.

27. Just because it has surfaced in the last 5 years don't make it common 50 years ago. :rolleyes:And if your certain "customizer" is who I think, he HAS been known to stretch the truth and make shit up;)

Odds are that Chili remembers the term but that it did not gain widespread use or acceptance. Hell, the term "FRENCH kissing" was enough to make folks blush, probably had something to do with the lack of use.

Did your search. Even C9 stated it was a localized term

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10782&highlight=french+rake&showall=1

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The French, like the Russians, claim to have invented everything from Hot dogs to aviation to nucleur fission and fusion to pancakes and cars, and now they are claiming "raked" as their own.
    They should be proud of their history of quick surrender and immediate begging for the USA to save their butts.

29. dale48mrc

dale48mrc

Jethro ,I think that would be a french organ grinder!

30. phukinartie

phukinartie

So if you hit those road bumps with a french rake is that a french tickler?