Register now to get rid of these ads!

French Antenna HELP. How do I...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadfoot, Feb 19, 2004.

1. leadfoot

leadfoot

Here is what it is, I've got the tube cut and ready to go into the hole. I'm going with dual antennas. I have two different antennas. The one on the left will bolt into the washer on the bottom of the tube because it is threaded. The antenna on the right has a different type of attaching device. How do I secure the antenna on the right into the tube so it doesn't move? Also should the bottom of the tube be cut at an angle to allow drainage? If so, how do you get the antenna straight in the tube, shim it? Any help is really appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

Attached Files:

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

First thing I'd do is find two of the same antenna...makes things easier...then I'd ask myself why I'd want two antennas in the same tube and not one antenna each in two tubes?

To align the antenna, find the center of the tube, weld on the bottom -- level and straight, not angled, and drill a small drain hole...if you insist on doing two antenna of different mounting styles...I'm thinking you'll just have to work at it until you get it right by eyeball...I'm not sure there will be another way to do it.

Not much help I know...
    R-

3. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

yeah,you'll definately want to weld the washer on straight because if you angle it you create a pocket that water will love to sit in and rust.yeah,i'd go with 2 antennas in 2 holes..looks cooler.and definately get the same kind of antennas..go to any place that carries antennas (wal-mart,k-mart) pick up one or 2..the one i got on my chevy i got for,like $11 bux.
    ~creepy

4. leadfoot

leadfoot

I am going to use two seperate tubes. The antennas I have are junk yard finds. Never even thought of buying new. I thought I read somewhere to angle the cut at the bottom so any water would run toward that end and then have the drain hole there. Is it possible to tig weld the antenna to the washer? [​IMG]

5. 50Bomber

50Bomber

If you want your water to drain outside of the car you can take a metal fuel filter and cut the bottom/top off.Then weld it to the bottom of your tube, attach a piece of hose to the filter mount and run it from the bottom of the tube outside your car. Seems to work well. Good luck.

6. Hey Mike,

I would definitely install a drain tube for each antenna tube.

Run neoprene hose.

The install is easier to do then you think. I had double antenna's in my mild custom Bonneville and I mounted the tubes in the left rear quarter panel, behind the roof pillers.

50Bomber has the right idea on this, only I ran the rubber hose on the inside of the trunk and thru the trunk floor. Worked rather well.

I'd be happy to run by and assist you in any way.

Joel