Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Fremont Dragstrip Today Oct 2009! Pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M.Edell, Oct 20, 2009.

1. M.Edell

M.Edell

I had some time to kill today, so I went to the site where Fremont Dragstrip once was.The track closed in November 1988 about two months after I got my drivers license which was on Sep 9,1988.I took these pics on my Cell phone and had to do a little trespassing, but it was well worth it.I hope you enjoy. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v400/marcusedell/Fremont Dragstrip 2009/

2. dmw56

dmw56

Are you sure you were in the right place? Baylands West of 880. Last time I was in that location there were buildings all over the area and that was 10 years ago. I used to go there a lot in the 70s and and raced stock cars at the dirt track in the 80s.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  3. so is this the finish line? or the pits?
    [​IMG]

4. Thundersalt

Thundersalt

Thats the place. Haven't been there since 88'. Telephone pole and fence are by the staging lanes.

5. 296ardun

296ardun

It sure looks right, although most landmarks are gone, even the wind fences are still there...loved the place, still miss it, so thanks very much for posting!

6. M.Edell

M.Edell

Neither, thats taken from Cushing..Thats West of where the glider airport was, looking East.

7. M.Edell

M.Edell

A Zillion Percent Sure! The Building and Strip Malls are North of this Location, right off of Auto Mall Pkwy formerly Durham Rd.

8. TomWar

TomWar

Just a little history, on the opening day, the first timed run was a CHP Dodge that
    turned in the mid 80's mph.
    I was there!!

9. M.Edell

M.Edell

Hey Tom! Thats Awesome info! Thanks! My Dad really enjoyed hearing from you again.He got out his 1959 Hayward High Yearbook and showed me your pic standing next to your cool Hot Rod!

10. Side

Side
    from Berlin, OK

I used to crack the window open in my bedroom as a kid to hear them run at night. My stepmother had storm windows installed to further quiet the noise when the windows were shut. Never got my folks to take me to the track. All I could do was listen. Poor poor me. Thanks for the pic's

11. M.Edell

M.Edell

12. Yep ... he's in the right place ... the buildings you speak of are north & west of where the Dragstrip used to be ... these buildings are the Pacific Commons Shopping Center, a group of Medical & Industrial buildings, and the Fremont Auto Mall.

The starting line of the old Fremont / Baylands Raceway Dragstrip was pretty close to where "Cisco Field" is labeled on this Google map:

[​IMG]
    Recent Google maps Satellite View of the area.

[​IMG]
    Old USGS topographical map of the area ... Note that some of the same roads are still visible in the recent Google
    map above.

Since the Oakland A's deal with the City of Fremont to build "Cisco Field" fell through, the old Dragstrip & Dirt track sites are still vacant.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  13. M.Edell

M.Edell

Thanks!

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

15. M.Edell

M.Edell

Thanks... that's out of my Dads Senior Yearbook, Hayward High School 1959

16. M.Edell

M.Edell

Some Cool Video!

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you look at HEMI32's map and go to Boscell Road and cross Automall that is where we raced at night. there was a marked quarter mile there.

that's why I get a kick out of people who say put in a dragstrip to get the kids off the streets. I think it was 10 bucks for wednesday night "run what you brung" and we were racing 1/2 mile away on the street. of course back then it was a long wide street in the middle of nowhere with no businesses there yet. that was before street racing became dangerous and illegal.

18. TomWar

TomWar

It WAS dangerous and Illegal, But that didn't stop anybody.
    We also raced on the approach to the San Mateo Bridge, and out of Alviso. And up and down E14th st.
    The 36 coupe in the picture, at that time had a 259 Studebaker V8.
    and was pretty fast for its day.
    :)

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I was only there once, for a nostalgia race. Seems to me, there was a small airport to the right of the track (looking down track). Is that gone also? I heard a rumor about the old military air station (at San Diago) being used for a drag strip/raceway; any truth there? Butch/56sedandelivery.

20. M.Edell

M.Edell

We Did too! "Little Fremont!"

21. M.Edell

M.Edell

Yes the Old Glider Airport "Sky Sailing airport" is also gone..Everyday you could look up and see gliders flying around Fremont.Heres another great link to check out, scroll down http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/Airfields_CA_SanJose.htm#skysailing

22. TomWar

TomWar

You Know there was originally a Boat Drag strip there also? We ran a 34 coupe/Chrysler through 1 time, and I was putting the plugs in the Exhaust,
    (on the return strip) when a drag-boat slid up to within about 20 feet of me.
    He had broken his steering!

23. M.Edell

M.Edell

I hear that from a few people that there was a Boat strip there as well.When did that open and close? Thats a wild story!

24. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

That vette video is cool!

25. M.Edell

M.Edell

Here's some good footage from the movie "Hot Rod"
    Also for alot of excellent footage get some of the Diamond P and Jackson Brothers DVD's/VHS

26. dmw56

dmw56

WOW, I didn't realize there's still open space and dirt in the Bay area!! Wonder what's that worth an acre? You'll have to excuse me it was the 70's thing are are a little hazy you get my drift. :D

I still have some T-shirts from Baylands.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  27. M.Edell

M.Edell

Yeah there's not much land left for sure, Ironic that the dragstrip property is still vacant after 21 years.I think its just waiting to be turned into another Strip again thats all...:p

28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow, since the strip was closed I never went to look. Only had heard that it was years before anything new was built in the area. Was real drag racing-I was there for the last race. FAMOSO is a long haul from here, but worth it. Annual racing in Lodi and Fremont Reunion at Sacramento Strip bring back the memories. Pomona has old style racing, along with the big boys. Thanks for update

29. Damn... 9,500 rpm shifts.... love it!

I have a Trophy from Freemont from 1956 (?) made from real wood!

30. M.Edell

M.Edell

I dont think Fremont opened until 1959 actually..Do you have a pic of that trophy? Do you want to sell it?