Register now to get rid of these ads!

Freakin' Wisconsin - Is Winter Over Yet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John "Gunner" Gunnell, Jan 1, 2010.

1. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

Starting off the new year with -10. This really sux. I want it to be April already. And not even a Lefthander Chassis Trade Show this year.

2. chevyshack

chevyshack

Good luck with that. I moved from ohio about 2.5 years ago to florida. Spring in ohio? HA!! Spring starts at the end of May and goes right to summer. I remember one year we had 4 days in the 90's and the rest of summer was about mid 60's. That year sucked.

3. Thats why theres so many northerners down south. Can,t wait to crank up the RV and head south.. 20 dys and a wakeup. not soon enough.

4. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

If I could I'd go back in time to when my ancestors came from the old country. I'd like to be with them when they got to the bottom of Lake Michigan and stood there scratching their chins trying to decide which way to turn. I come up behind them and kick the square in the ass and tell them to turn left. What kind of moron would voluntarily move to a god forsaken part of the country where you freeze your ass for six months, get eaten by mosquitoes five other months and only have a month of decent weather?

If I was smart I would have moved before I married a farm girl who I'll never get to move away from the family farm.

5. Gerg

Gerg

It is damn hard to stay motivated when you go out in the garage and freeze for the first hour

6. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

You got that garage thing nailed. I love when I blow snow and put the snow thrower away and the snow is still there the next time. My shop is heated now, but it's walking out to it that keeps you away. No fun.

7. markjenks

markjenks

Yep, same thing here in Seymour, WI. I'm outside for an hour everyday doing chores.

As for working in the garage? I don't have enough time to get it warm enough to work out there. By the time I get the heat rocking, It's a few hours later and I don't care anymore! :)

8. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Hey John - I was just referencing your "75 Years of Pontiac-Oakland" book for the umpteenth time a few minutes ago. This weather isn't all that bad, it just gives us something to look forward to. :)

9. billygoat67

billygoat67

looks like we're in the same boat,-8 reg temp here . can only imagine with the windchill, supposto be -35 to -40 tonight .
    i'm already sick of the cold.

10. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

Yeh, but you guys grew up with this weather. Back in New York the snow always melted the next day or they strapped plows on the garbage trucks and pushed it in the ocean. Out here the plows push it up my driveway AFTER I cleared it off. Gheez! But we love it, don't we? Else we wouldn't be here.

Hold onto that book. It is hard to get. I went to the Oakland 100th shebang last year (I mean 2008) and they sold two of them, each for over $400. That just means I'm an old guy.

Where to I audition for Fargo II?

11. I don't know, I think it would blah living in the same climate year round. If it was summer all the time, I would never have a winter project. I could do without the sub zero temps though.

12. redoilman

redoilman
    from iowa

You guys in Fort Dodge must have a heat wave, they're forecasting -10 to -14 tonight for us in northern iowa. But hey its iowa its January it happens every winter, and when spring rolls around we forget about till next year.

13. krooser

krooser

It's 75F in my shop...

14. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

I never bought that "Wisconsin has four seasons" excuse for winter. When my folks were living I used to go back home for my mom's biurthday in March and it was shirtsleeves back there in Staten Island. Then I came back to Iola and the snowload crashed a tree branch on my house. Seasons are 3 months long -- not 3 weeks!

15. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

Hey Kroozer. I can crank the heat in my shop up to 75 but then I have to refill the tank.

16. 75 in your shop? Must be like a sauna in there. You better put some clothes on and turn down the heat.

17. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

sorry but winter starts dec 21st - you have a ways to go

18. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

Hey Inlaw and Kroozer. How many dragsters are coming to Symco this year? There were a bunch at SEMA and Mecum had a cool Olds-powered one in his St. Charles auction. There were a few at the Nickey Show in Chicago too. I wanna see a whole row of them. I think I should build one around my spare Pontiac flathead.

19. wannadrag

wannadrag
    from WI

I had enough winter already,ready for spring :D

20. That sounds like a cool build. I know I am going to bring the Fiat, I hope Barry brings the fed back also. I talked with Koopermeiner and he may bring his 55 Gasser. I hope there is room!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  21. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

I just posted a new thread on this topic. Let's do it! I'll try to get John Tinberg to bring his real Bill Thomas Nova if that would be kool.

22. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

I am with you, Gunner...

Today a guy and his son drove down from Webb Lake (about 50 mi W of Hayward) to pick up some part he bought from me...same deal re: the snow on the Toro from last week's snow removal...my garage still uninsulated and unheated (hopefully THIS year!)...I am already sick of the >crunch!< of the snow under my boots and that freezing feeling you get in your nose when you breathe should you spend more than a few minutes outside.

Not sure about Iola, but the weather in '09 (around here anyway) was GREAT...cool temps, DRY, very tolerable...take the bad with the good.

Thanks for the great books, John. They helped give me Pontiacitis at 15...still incurable 22 years later!

23. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

It was around 23 degrees here in wichita today. I decided the Bel Air wasn't going to fix itself. I replaced the fuel pump and dropped the gas tank today.....all in my driveway. I have no garage.

24. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

Anyone needs a car book to read by the fireplace on a cold night I sell them on eBay for about half price. User name 087gunner

25. ranchwagun

ranchwagun

I hear ya the older i get the more i hate winter! Luckily i heat my shop with an outdoor wood boiler so its not as hard on the bank account as gas. I keep it 70 in there. I froze my ass off for too many years when i worked for other people.

26. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

This is the time to rebuild/regroup for next summer. Still sucks though, everything's in mothballs!

27. John "Gunner" Gunnell

John "Gunner" Gunnell
    from Iola, WI

Wichita Undertaker - you must be young. When I got to 50 a garage and a lift were just old age insurance. Now I'm 62 and glad I bit the bullet and did it.

Do you know my old friend Byron "Joe" Stout down there? I made my first road trip across America to Wichita. Drove a '53 Poncho sedan that burned a quart of oil every 100 miles, We just dumped oil in with the engine running. Joe hosted the second Pontiac club convention at his Pontiac/AMC dealership. Made it all the way out and back to SI NY with one repair -- an $11 shock in Pennsylvania.

Really, when I was younger and lived in Staten Island, N.Y. and drove '50s cars all year round (about 1974) I loved how my '53 Pontiac sedan would go through the snow with its tall, skinny tires, while the modern iron only got stuck.

28. markjenks

markjenks

That's not too bad. 23 around here, and I'm outside for 4-5 hours before I get cold. Heck, I split the motor/trans apart and starting taking the engine apart on the 53 chevy Thanksgiving weekend. I'm pretty sure it never got over 30 the whole weekend.

29. markjenks

markjenks

Now's the time to try to save cash for the next project, come spring. And hope that cash doesn't end up in the furnace or electric bill..

Hey Gunner, what year is the bike? I have a 1966 FLH myself.

-Mark

30. Sure glad I ended up in Ventura. No snow to be found.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]