Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Freakin' A" 60s hot rod drag coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Headlights look good to me.

2. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

3. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

That is SUPER cool!

4. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

Man, the coupe is lookin' killer, Ryan!

5. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

I think the head lights look perfect where they are. The deck lid hinges look great too.

6. SOLO

SOLO

Looks sweet!

7. I think it looks too modern day hot rod... like a blend of a 1940's headlight bar on a 60's car. Looks good, but it doesn't jive.

A real 60's gas class coupe would have a stock headlight bar with King Bees or Deitz headlights... The smaller the better.

And because headlights and tail lights were required to race... you'd leave them on.

I think the question to ask is... do you want o build something that looks like it was raced in the 60's? Or, do you want to build something that is nostalgic with a new twist?

Either way... it looks bitchen!

I love the wheels and tires!!

Sam

8. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

These are the headlights that we had with the car, so I decided to see if I could make them work. If I go another route, I will get a pair of small Bates motorcycle headlights or some other type of bike headlight and come up with another way of mounting them.

This car isn't suppose to really be a Gas class car. We never intended to run a hood and the only reason we are fitting it with headlights is for street driving. It's exactly what we are calling it, a 60 styled hot rod drag coupe. We just want it to be cool and fast like a lot of the old show and go cars were.

Towards the late 60s you'll see a lot of gassers without headlights.. Mazmanian's Austin is one of them. Once in a while you will find an Anglia without lights. Although I wouldn't be surprised to hear certain tracks give those cars grief for that.

This 34 ran as an altered. Full fendered and no headlights. Although it's totally gutted and has an insane engine setback which justifies the altered classification.

Attached Files:

• 051.jpg
      051.jpg
      File size:
      391.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  9. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

10. froghawk

froghawk

For what it's worth, I really like the lights and mounting bar as shown in your mockup pics. Given the parameters you've set for yourself you've arrived at a very pleasing solution. Particularly nice the way the curve of the vertical portion of mounting bar seems to echo the flare of the fender in these views; whether that was planned or a happy accident, it's just awesome. The lights themselves seem to be just the right size, not too big like the stock "A' pieces or freakishly small like the Lucas(?) units on the sedan in Von Hartman's post.

Beautiful work everywhere else on this car, too. Love those frenched-in '58 Chevy lights and the perfectly bobbed rear fenders!

11. UncleDonnie

UncleDonnie

12. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a fan of the tiny lights. At least not from that angle.

13. doubletubtrouble

doubletubtrouble

14. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Opinions just show how different we are....
    Headlights? I like the small ones! Like where they sit for that matter. Dig the itty bitty lights on the sedan too. Crap!! Badness....

15. happilyretired

happilyretired

I can just see that thing sneakin' up on the Snow White Drive-In crowd, the blower hissing, the primer paint hiding the quick street ET between the lights. I can hear the car calling out........here, Corvette, here hemi Charger.

16. Greezeball

Greezeball

Coupes done like this are just mean as hell. Yours looks like a pitbull lookin' for a fight! Gee that rich kid in the brand new 409 4 speed Impala is gonna get his ass handed to him! Ha ha I love it!

17. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Not much of an update on this right now. I've been really busy with work and my dad with the house (gotta keep mom happy). Plus we were at a point in the project where something had to give to keep this going.

My dad sold this a little over a week ago. This was the first restoration I was ever a part of. There was little contribution on my part since I was 10 when he restored it, but I was out every weekend learning and watching... and puting together a chopper bicycle when I got bored of Chevelle trim and fitting body panels.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I do have this update. We did hit up a swap meet over the weekend and my dad scored this cool oil pan for the coupe. I'm still trying to identify the make and I started a thread hoping for some help. The fins and shape are slightly different from an Eelco. Somebody mentioned it possibly being a Weiand.

[​IMG]

19. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

It went from"Freakin Awful,to Freakin AWESOME"! Keep up the bitchin work man!

20. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

do i see marks on it like you're going to chop it?

21. S.F.

S.F.

those mounts almost look like they were cast...nice job

22. I like full fender '32s, seems like everyone I know, prefers fenderless. So, to me, this coupe stands alone among all others and it looks bitchin'!
    [​IMG]
    There's a top of a skull formed when sanding off the old paint.
    I need a life.

23. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I think the headlights you used in the mock up pictures look great at that height.

24. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Yes, there were chop marks on it. My brother's plan for the car when he owned it was fenderless with a 4 1/2 chop.

25. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

neat!

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That's a crazy thing... like your're working the ghosts out of it! You should take a really good photograph of that area before it goes away and then use it to make a T shirt later! Or door art! Gary

27. Simply STUNNING! Should be in an art show!

28. at first i really liked this... now i freakin' love it! is it wrong to call frirst dibbs on it if you ever decide to sell it!?!

29. Cannot wait to see this Coupe finished. Anymore pics for updates??

Thanks for sharing..

30. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Last post was back in May? This coupe is beggin' to get finished... C'mon guy, any updates?