Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Franklin quickchange.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sdluck, Nov 19, 2017.

1. sdluck

sdluck

I have a offset frankland quickchange,it has never been installed. It has full floating axel and hubs. I want to put it in my model A.I need axels and tubes to narrow it to 57 inches. I am looking for someone to do it or a manual to do it my self. I live in San Jose ca. 95122 Thank you.

2. jimmysweden

jimmysweden
    from sweden

Me to. i also have a F.qc. in pieces. Follow your tread and se what we can find out. I live in Sweden...

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it apart? Can you measure the outer diameter of the carrier bearing cups (race), and the inside diameter of the snouts?

I have a narrowing jig, but not the pucks for everything. I did use it to narrow 1-ton floaters for 4x4 rigs.

I never bothered to figure out if it fit a quick change rear. Might be time to find out.

4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Franklin or Frankland?

5. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

All you do to narrow a full floater is remove the tubes, shorten them and buy new axles. Winters site has blowups, same basic rearend.

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

7. sdluck

sdluck

It is together with no axel or backing plates in it. What other info do you need?

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just what I already asked for. Those dimensions are where the jig components fit.

9. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Gimpy,

You don't need the jig for narrowing a QC with axle "bells'. As LMI4 said, you remove the tubes from the bells by heating them. The Aluminum or magnesium bell material expands faster and more than the steel tube. The tube slips out.
    You then cut the tube off on the inside end.
    Finally, heat the bell and chill the tube. Slide it together and drill & tap the retaining bolt holes.

Now, if you are using early Ford trumpets, you need the jig to align the housing ends,

I was trying to get the OP to switch to the 'Quickchange Quick Change' thread to keep the information in one location.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Frankland. (Since no one else bothered to resopnd.)

11. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

You do know that both make QC's.

12. Nope. There is no Franklin quick change

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Really? I never heard of a Franklin unit. Got a picture?

14. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

After some pretty exhausting research for my book, I believe that the confusion comes from this situation:

Jim Frankland made QCs in Florida.

Lynn Franklin made them in Minneapolis. They were labeled 'Lynn' not Franklin.

The Lynn units were, for the most part, copies of the Frankland.

cretin and jaw22w like this.
  15. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

That's why I asked. The OP spelled it both ways.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We don't know what he has.

I was operating on the provided information, which only makes sense if he has trumpets, or he probably would have just done the cut tube/reinstall method you described, and not even asked.

17. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

We have more input than the OP!

18. sdluck

sdluck

Sorry,the correct spelling is Frankland.Can I use the axel tubes and backing plates from my current Pont rear to fit the Frankland? I will get the correct years information, It is a 9.3 with chevy bolt pattern. How do I change this over to the the other thread?

19. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

No, I don't believe the Pontiac tubes are the same diameter. I thought you had tubes in the Frankland.

Some pictures would be helpful.

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup. No pics, no answers.

21. sdluck

sdluck

I have full floating tubes in the frankland,I just wanted to know if I could cut the tubes off my pont and use the tubes,backing plates ,drums and have the axels shorten and resplined.

22. sdluck

sdluck

I don't see my pictures.

23. sdluck

sdluck

Anybody see my pictures?

24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

You posted your pics to a private conversation to me with the same title.

25. sdluck

sdluck

Do you want me to repost them?

26. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

That will let everyone else see what you have.

27. sdluck

sdluck

20171130_202114.jpg 20171130_203232.jpg

Attached Files:

28. sdluck

sdluck

I hope this works

29. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

To reach your 57" goal you could cut 1/2" off the tube on the short side, 2 1/2" on the long side.
    This centers the center section.
    Now you 'probably' can shorten the short axle by 1/2" and buy a 28" axle for the other side. A used axle should be well under $100.
    What we don't know at this point is if you have a differential or a spool. That will have effect on the actual length needed for the axles. If currently equipped with a diff. you are just about home free.

Drum brakes can be adapted to the full floater hubs, but discs are easier.

My recollection is that at least some Pontiacs used 5 on 5 wheel. So, if that is part of the equation, no need to change the bolt pattern. By the way, changing the bolt circle on the floater hubs is darn near impossible. The hubs and drive plates are generally harder than a whore's heart.
    The 5/8" wheel studs can be changed to 1/2".

If you don't need to buy a differential, you can probably get rolling for less than $200 + brakes.

Okay,
    Your pictures confirm everything I told you above. The only thing left to do is verify the limited slip differential.
    If you can hold the drive shaft yoke and turn one of the axles, that will prove that it had a differential. Since you have the build tag, you could contact Frankland and they may be able to tell you what type of ring gear carrier it had when it was built. I'm not sure how to decode the tag but I'd bet that the last digits being 96 are the year. That unit is fairly new as it was built in Pennsylvania.
    If it were me, I would take the left side bell off and look at the ring and pinion. This is a matter of removing the 11 bolts and giving the end of the tube a whack with a rubber mallet. The carrier and ring gear lift out. You won't upset anything by doing this. Be sure to look at the pinion very carefully, and again if you can post some pictures it would be helpful.
    I can likely tell you what kind of differential it is if you post a pic of that.

To answer your questions:
    1. Yes, you can run it on the street
    and
    2. You can put it behind 800 H.P. or more. So, carry on.;)

30. sdluck

sdluck

The first picture is a afco hub sitting on a wooden stool.What torque do the side covers need and do the bolts need antisieze. From the pictures is it a mag unit?