Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Frank "The Beard" Federici of Shark Corvette fame at Conn. and New England

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Bomber, Apr 11, 2014.

1. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

Lot of us Northeast guys remember the late Frank "The Beard" Federici of The Shark Corvette Funny car. Frank was a jewelry manufacturer out of Providence or Cranston, R.I. He began driving blown funny cars at 21 years old. Anyone can tell you he pulled feats and bravado that would make Jungle Jim Lieberman look like a choir boy. We heard about a full quarter mile burnout with fist in the air at Conn. still running,stopping in front of each set of bleachers for short burnouts or the time he went through the traps, people scrambled back to their seats when out of the smoke in the top end and running on 5 cylinders still running, stopping on the return road and then mashing the gas pedal for a burnout back to the pits, or going down the track on a header and slick, or chutes didn't open and driving out to the entrance road to a skidding stop.Anyone have other stories, or actually knew Frank? seemed like a character,what a showman!he later went to circle track racing.Sadly, he passed away in his early 50's<?> Any other stories guys, or info? Thanks for any.

2. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

In the early 1970's, Frank used to come into Beecroft Chevrolet on Niantic Ave. (Cranston R.I.) & buy auto parts from me... Always cheerful (His shop was in Olneyville).

3. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

It happened in the early 70's. I was at New England Dragways in Epping NH. The funny cars were running. Frank did his usual awesome burnout and then got set at the lights. When he got the light he hit the throttle. The car went sideways. It caught on the guardrail which in those days didn't run the full length of the track. The rails stopped at about 100 feet out from the start line. They ended by angling down into the ground so there was not a straight end for the cars to hit. Unfortunately for Frank when he went to the railing it acted as a ramp for a jump (but only on the left side of the car). We were sitting in the bleachers at about 200 feet from the start line. His car went up in the air doing a perfect rotation and was about 25 feet in the air upside down when it blew apart right in front of us. The fiberglas body went straight down to the ground and the car came back down on the roll cage. The engine separated and rolled (more like bounced like a ball) across the track towards the pits. At about 1/8 mile the engine stopped when it lodged into the windshield of a pick up truck over there. The frame came down and skidded (on the roll cage) to a little beyond the 1/8th mile mark on the track. Frank walked away. It was incredible! My friend who had the camera didn't get any pictures because he was in such awe watching it unfold in front of us. Even though it was over 40 years ago I still see it in my mind.

pat59 likes this.