Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frame prep needed before boxing frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AkBillyBow, Apr 14, 2013.

1. AkBillyBow

AkBillyBow
    from Alaska

All, I will soon get my frame sandblasted, then I am going to box in the frame. Once the frame is cleaned from the sandblasting, should I spray /paint /prep anything on the inside of the frame (inside the boxed in area) before I weld the boxing plates on?

I don't want it to rust inside there, but I am also not sure what I can put on the frame that will handle the heat from the welding when it is boxed. I did read there is a weld proof primer, but could not seem to locate it locally.

Any ideas? Leave it alone? Spray it? Any suggestions as to what to spray it with?

Thanks...AkBillyBow

2. Scott

Scott

surf the web for weldable primer

3. AkBillyBow

AkBillyBow
    from Alaska

Thanks for the reply Scott. I am also wondering, is it needed? Do most people seal /coat the inside of the frame or just leave it alone?

Thanks again,

AkBillyBow

4. 117harv

117harv

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If you're really sealing it up and have no dams front to back or have access through bolt holes etc you could determine the voids. Then seal up all the holes but one with tape. Then mix a quart of epoxy primer thoroughly and pour it into each void one at the time then sealing the entry hole and rolling and tilting the frame the frame to get good coverage. Then open a hole or two at the lower end, drain the overage into your container then fill the next area, and so on. That's probably as good as it could get. Welded areas may yet burn away a little paint but since most are not painted it won't matter too much. Some protection is better than none.

6. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

I bought 3M weld thru primer at my local O'reilly's or eastwood sells it also.

7. Weld thru primer is for overlapping flanges. Not for coating inner panels. It has very little adhesion. Use self etch, and or epoxy. Clean to bare metal 1/2" around the weld site. Follow with cavity wax inside the frame, after welding.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  8. AkBillyBow

AkBillyBow
    from Alaska

Thanks for all the help !!

AkBillyBow

9. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I coat the inside of the frame rails and boxing plates to 3/4" from where the welds will be with Miracle Paint. Then I spray weldable primer over the bare metal and weld away.

10. Listen to Tinbender. Cavity Wax is what you need. AFTER you weld.

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

What's that stuff we used to spray inside lugged steel road frames? You know what I'm talking about?

12. JP Weigel Framesaver. Same stuff as cavity wax just repackaged in a smaller (and overpriced) can for bikes;)

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Got it...well then...That stuff!

14. Yep that's it! You could use this without any primer, and It would probably out last anyone here. But why not do all you can to stop rust while you have the chance?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  15. 37cevy4dr

37cevy4dr
    from Louisiana

Go to the Eastwoods site and order some of the internal frame spray. They have it in spray cans and comes with a flexible plastic hose with a small nozzle on the end for reaching up into the frame or places you can not reach. It is very thin will penetrate up inside any small crack. They say it "encapsulates" the rust.
    All I know is it seeps into every opening you can find and sticks like it was welded on. Dries to a thick coating and is very hard to scrape or sand off. I used it inside my 37 frame and was so impressed by the way it coated and penetrated that I am using it to spray anywhere I can. Door post top of doors inside windshield post, etc. With the hose you can reach just about any place you want.
    My frame has been in a lot of moisture as I am in Louisiana and it is the rainy season and I can find no where I sprayed it that rust has came back thru.

05snopro440 likes this.