Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Frame notch question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglysteve, Aug 13, 2014.

1. I've got a pickup truck I've been working on. 58 F100. I flipped the rear axle and need to notch the frame to get a bit more clearance. I was considering doing a bigger step notch, instead of the pipe C notch, in case I want to bag it at some point

I noticed when people do the step notches and airbags, theres usually 2 bars that go between the tops of the notches from one to the other. Are those necessary to keep the frame straight or are those mainly just used for mounting the plates for the bags? I only ask because I want to use the bed...so I'd like to not put a huge tunnel in the middle covering the notch.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1407986743.589010.jpg

Thanks fellas

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

While your drawing may not be exactly to scale, you need to remember the rear axle center section is taller than the axle tubes, so clearance must be provided for it that is taller than the notch over the tubes. That may very well mean a hump the full width of the bed. Maybe not, just depends on how deep the frame notch is.

Ray

3. Ah yeah. I'm an idiot.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That's a little harsh........lighten up on yourself :D

sometimes when we get really focused on some element of a project, we can temporarily lose sight of other elements.

5. 87Heaven

87Heaven

Check with Gambino Customs in San Jose Ca. Alex has a nice notch kit and he ships all over the world. He on the net and he is an alliance member here on the HAMB. Good luck with the project.

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

When I did my F1, I just welded a 2 x 4 tubing to the top of the frame, and cut out the notch under it. Then I needed to raise the bed floor , about an inch or inch and a half, for clearance,. Just used tubing again, as spacers, and bolted the floor to them. No need to put a hump in the floor.

7. In answer to the original question, if your notch is not taking out a cross member then those cross braces are not entirely necessary. More often then not they are there as mounting points for suspension pieces.