Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frame jig?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by elcamino65, Jan 31, 2011.

1. elcamino65

elcamino65
    from washington

I am planning on buying new stamped 32 frame rails and i am going to have to weld in the boxing plates and crossmembers . To weld in the boxing plates do i need a frame jig or could i get away with welding small amounts at a time. anyone have experience with this. If i realy had to i could come up with some sort or jig or something to keep it straight.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So^^e sort of fra^^e jig would sure help keep things aligned. If the 1-1/2 ton truck fra^^e I cut up last spring hadn't had so ^^any scabs welded on it it would be a jig for future fra^^es here.

If you don't have a set of blueprints fro^^ one of our fellow ha^^bers bought off Ebay get one before you start. Great wall art and a ^^ust have for 32 fra^^e builders Ebay # 220726200888 Keep checking back if he has sold out. I got one the other day and it will really help when the ti^^e co^^s to do one here.

3. You can get the 32 frame blueprint for free at the Wescott web site.

I would not try to box the rails without a jig.

Take a look at Garry Maxwell's web site. Note the jig he uses to hold the rails when they are being boxed.

He builds a super frame for little more than the cost of the materials.

That said, a lot of guys build their frames at home with little more than a garage floor and a set of spreader bars for a jig. Good luck to you.

4. Buzzard II

Buzzard II

Frame plans are available from Deuce Daddy Don on the HAMB. His plans are the most accurate-he got them from Ford. You can tack weld channel steel to the rails and cut it off after you're done. Weld a little and then stop. Take your time. If something does tweak, any good body shop with a frame machine can tweak it back. Ask me how I know!!!!! Good luck! Bob