Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frame Building/Axle Locating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3bytheknee, Mar 22, 2004.

1. 3bytheknee

3bytheknee
    from Sonora, CA

Just a note on a method of holding the axle housing securely in place while you add on the 4-bar or other suspension parts. I used two of the old U-bolts taken off this Ford 8" along with a couple of pieces of scrap angle iron. The angle is clamped to the frame and if desired you can tack weld it to be SURE it never moves. I just clamped it. Makes a secure and accurately located/oriented axle housing. [​IMG]

Onward and upward with the 28 RPU!

Attached Files:

2. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

great tip!
    thanks, ill be doing the four bar on my RPU soon, and will use that trick.

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

That IS a great tip!
    No tack welding on the housing or frame to grind off after everything is in place! Nice.

Thanks!
    Bill

4. "LET TECH WEEK BEGIN"!!!! [​IMG]

Let's start with this one..., OK??? [​IMG]

5. 3bytheknee

3bytheknee
    from Sonora, CA

A P.S. on this suggestion. In the original post I said you may want to tack weld the angle iron just to be sure it doesn't move. DO IT! I had not tacked it and the SOB moved during the building process causing me to have to cut loose some tack welds elsewhere and move things. Be sure to tack weld the angle just as insurance.

6. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    A P.S. on this suggestion. In the original post I said you may want to tack weld the angle iron just to be sure it doesn't move. DO IT! I had not tacked it and the SOB moved during the building process causing me to have to cut loose some tack welds elsewhere and move things. Be sure to tack weld the angle just as insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking that's what would probably happen to me... [​IMG]

Another thing you could do is drill a small hole thru the angle iron and frame in a couple of spots and put a pin/nail in the hole to keep them lined up. that works for relocating door hinges too.
    That way you coud take it apart and put it backin the same location during fitting.