Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fram filters nightmare story.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pir8Darryl, Sep 20, 2008.

1. So, you have been online for years and seen all the research and input but yet you defend the product?! You sir are a fuckin dipshit.

2. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

LOL.
    I have received Engineering Design Excellence awards from Toyota, GM, and Ford for some of the stuff I designed, only to have those same companies come behind me and cheapen my designs down to the ragged edge of "breaking point" in order to save a few bucks... THAT'S the work of a Beangeneer.

Because I reported my 3rd personal fram failure yesterday morning, so I resurrected the old thread. [Actually, my 6th personal experience if you go back over the past ~20 years]

Thanks! I count this as my crowning achievement here on the HAMB... Well, maybe the "shit blender" or the "fake patina" thread could trump it for humor, and the "turning a SBC into a steam engine" thread beats it for the WOW factor, but after what I've been thru with shitty fram filters, I'm on a personal crusade to keep this going so the sheeple can be informed!

I'm also quite proud of the '57 Chevy 4 door to 2 door conversion!

So now you want to save face by twisting and spinning what you originally wrote?

I'll give you the benni on this one. Maybe you really did mean to say what you wrote just now, but Brother, you gotta learn to articulate your thoughts to the keyboard a little more clearly

Oh Snap!!!
    I thought that's exactly what I did... :confused:

Maybe you missed the photo's I posted, or my relating to the other fram failures I had experienced in the past.

Maybe you missed when I debated about what makes a quality filter.

Perhaps your missing the fact that by creating, maintaning, and contributing to this thread, that I am compiling info for the masses.

I stand behind my personal hatred of fram! They suck!

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

i'm bumping my own question , anyone got an answer on this now that there's a break in the drama? I've used wix for years and this is the first time I've seen made in el mexicano on the filter

4. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Peterson's, down at 911 N. Main st. is your closest authorized distributor. 229-985-2092

Failing that, Truckpro in Tifton, or Arnold Transportation services in Albany can hook you up.

Then, there's always Filterbarn.com

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

thanks!! I wonder if I should just stock up, do they still make Wix here at all?

6. Truckedup

Truckedup

Made in Mexico is no guarantee of inferior quality.Might be a new factory with automated equipment.Sometimes a move to Mexico means the product gets built to a lower standard,sometimes not.It can be made in the USA and still be a piece of shit.You would have to carefully inspect both a US and Mexican made filter to see any difference.
    However....I use Wix,if they are now Hecho en Mexico,I will switch a USA made filter brand if possible.

7. if the frams collapse like in the pics, how the hell can they be sold to begin with? who the hell is monitoring this stuff??

8. Thumper

Thumper

Their QC is asleep at the wheel. Hell.........Ray Charles could see those things are made shitty.:eek: It's a major corporation playing the odds you won't have a problem and making the most profit from a cheap ass product thats living on its past reputation and media blitz.

"Pay me now or pay me later" like the old commercial says........only thing is.... your fucked either way with their stuff.

9. brad chevy

brad chevy

Yeah,lets not start on Mexico,even HARLEY DAVIDSON went to mexico for the cheaper labor cost, common sence ,look at and check everything you buy these days ,quality control is gone.,and as far as the engineer in Nevada,you are not a redneck you just a dumass know it all.

10. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

I have enjoyed reading this thread for a long time now, and hearing all the debates for both sides, but the best was from yesterday when the originator posted the following:

"Because I reported my 3rd personal fram failure yesterday morning, so I resurrected the old thread. [Actually, my 6th personal experience if you go back over the past ~20 years]

" Screw me once - bad you !!!"
    " Screw me twice - bad me !!!"
    " Screw me 3 times - what a loser !!!!

Not sure what comes after 6 but I can think of a few !!!

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You're making friends... I feel the guys pain, sometimes that's all the store has for an application and though you've been burned before you take a shot. Especially over the course of 20 years. And the difference is a fuel filter vs. an oil filter. I'd say that counts as a new one. And now we know they suck as well..

12. Have you even read this thread? He bought the last vehicle with a stuck engine and a Fram filter.

13. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Actually you have a very valid point there Turd-boy.

Please allow me to clarify...

The first three [over the past ~20 years] were on cars I worked on while I held part time jobs at shops... Not my cars.

The 4th one was on my Father-in-law's truck, and I had to clean up the mess.

The 5th one was my diesel truck's fuel filter. I never use anything but WIX, the store was out of wix, but I went with the fram because I had treated the tank with diesel-clean, and I knew it was only going to last a couple days.

The 6th one was on a vehicle I just bought with a locked up engine.

I have *seen* 6 failures with my own eyes... But only one of them was by my own hands, and even then I didn't want to buy a fram, but had no choice.

Hope that helps you to understand... As for cleaning the egg of your face, or your in-ability to make friends around here, your on your own!

14. Really? what exactly does Harley Make in Mexico? My 09 Street glide and 09 XR1200 were made in York, PA and Kansas City respectively.

15. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Hey, don't offend Tman and his engineer envy! :D

<b>BAD</b> <i>(shitty engineer in crappy california and lov'n every minute of it)</i> <b>ROD</b>

P.S. Use FRAM oil filters for a couple of decades....ha, ha, ha.....

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

They were assembled there with parts from all over the world...

17. brad chevy

brad chevy

Got into the same discussion about the harleys the other day and pissed a couple of people off when their bikes didn"t have a made in the U.S.A plate on them,one had MEXICO and the other had a CANADA build plate on it.Everycompany has to save money but nobody selling a good market product is going to tell you anything that takes away from bottem line,selling and making money, You don"t hear Wal-mart claiming all their shit is American made anymore either.

18. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

does Walmart sell ANYTHING American made? sure not tools, last time I checked the one here not a single USA made tool, anyway back on topic

19. We went from Shitty Fram filters to countries of Origin? I am sure the execs making decisions at Fram are sitting here in the US.

20. tinmachine

tinmachine
    from Midwest

About 74, I drove my newly purchased used 70 Mustang Mach 1 home from the shop after the routine check out, oil change, filter, antifreeze, etc. Drove about 40 miles home and as I pulled up against the curb the oil pressure warning light came on. Got out to check the situation and found the oil was low. Got under car and checked for problems. See oil leak around filter, take filter off, pea-sized spot of paint missing on back of filter...odd? Fram had a half dollar sized stamping indentation pressed into the case of the filter right in the center. Because the stamping process stretched the metal so thin there, the metal had split in the drawing process and a tiny cracked formed. The filter passed through painting process, filled the crack with orange paint, past QC, and went onto the marked undiscovered. The engine oil pressure blew the paint off over the crack and leaked nearly all my engine oil out in 40 miles. Sent the filter into Fram with a letter and soon after they stopped with that stamping and changed the tooling smoothing out the back of the filter case to a plain dome shape. I quit buying them anyway, went to Motorcraft.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

21. You will find that these are TOTALLY different Filters. They are Rebuild able with cleanable media. No way in Heck a normal filter can handle the pressures that a Nitro Engine produces also If you look at them they have a cage around them as well

22. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

it's just like the off the shelf oil they are pouring in, what you don't see is them dumping the stuff out and refilling it with whatever real stuff they run. All the consumer sees is the driver pouring in X brand oil at the track. a fram can barely even handle street car pressure without leaking or bursting, and lots of them fail on daily drivers, The once you may see at the track are special filters, they are most likely painted orange with a decal to make them look like a real fram. Just like the headlights on Nascar cars. The company doesn't care whats really on the car, all they care about is the consumer thinking it's the real deal. I'm sure they are well aware that their garbage can't handle the oil pressure in a drag car For those who keep defending these filters, they may have been good at some point in the past, but it's all about the dollar now. They continue to get away with this because the average consumer barely even knows what an oil filter is. Most people today are afraid to get their hands dirty and don't care what goes on the car, save a dollar? put it on!!

23. I know that. What I was asking is why he said that they were being made in Mexico.

24. If a product contains 90% mexican parts and is assembled in the US, is it a Mexcan made or US made product?

First, With .010"+ bearing clearances and 0 weight synthetic oil, most race cars don't make 65 PSI like a nice tight street engine that's wound up.
    Second, the filter should be on the scavenging side of the pump, not the pressure side, so the pressure being fed into the engine is irrelevant anyway.

25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Are Baldwin still made here? I need to look at another wix like i've got and see if it's US made, the one on the car now says made in mexico. I'll have to get the part number, It's on my remote filter, car hasn't run yet with it on, so i don't have any details.

26. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you are correct, I was thinking of production road course racing not drag racing, was answering on very little sleep. and if the filter contains an element made of 90 percent recycled taco wrappers, I would consider it Mexican made.

27. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

BTT for the FNG's

28. Nope never had that problem. I did have the fuel gel in Illinoise up near Peoria once. Pulled the filter and swapped it with a new fram, put a ton of additive in the tanks and motored on happily down the road.

That doesn't mean I won't have a problem someday. I've heard lots of bad about the old standby fram filters.

29. Gman0046

Gman0046

I understand the AC Delco oil filters are Chinese manufactured now and equal to Fram quality. It's Wix or Napa for me from now on.

30. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

To pile on: Two bad experiences with Fram. Both ot cars. Watercooled VW Jetta the filter had no threads cut so it didn't get to go on. HP1 on a hot rod air cooled VW. The wrong gasket was on it and it blew out at high rpm. The oil light (big) came on and I was able to save the engine. The guy in the Honda Civic (trailing at this point) thought it was gas blowing out!
    No more Fram. NAPA Gold on the Olds with spin on adapter.