Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fram filters nightmare story.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pir8Darryl, Sep 20, 2008.

1. 6tall

6tall

Wow .... I use Fram filters every 3,000 miles and so far (touch wood) no horror stories yet.

2. plmczy

plmczy

This is interesting. I've always used Frams in my vehicles. But lately I have had some issues I've noticed with my Dakota. Late last winter on my way home from work my oil pressure dropped to zero then picked right back up. Couple miles down the road it did it again. It had done it a couple more times by the time I got home luckily I wasn't far from my house when it started acting up. Now I hadn't changed that filter in a little less than a year(I know shame on me). So when I got home, I ran to the store and picked up another Fram filter and oil. When I got home I pulled off the filter and it was heavy and when I turned it over no oil came out. Another problem I've been having and it happens alot during the winter is when I start the truck up oil pressure doesn't come up right away it takes a couple seconds. I also see alot of pressure fluxuation also both during the summer and winter. later shawn

3. tmacracin

tmacracin

I won't run a Fram anymore. A local racer we race with just destroyed his race car because his filter blew apart on the top end @ 155mph.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  4. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

good post... i guess ill stick with ac delco and motorcraft

5. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. I have been using fram filters for years ,never had any problems . I think I will try wix.To bad I just bought two fram for a dual remote on the car i am building.

7. Cruiser

Cruiser

:eek: My Fram experience happen this way, pick one up at the parts store, drained the oil out and put the Fram filter on and oil. Shit, the factory or someone along the line switched the filter in the box, right box wrong filter. Started the car and oil run right down by driveway, nice mess to clean up. Oh,well.........................

CRUISER :cool:

8. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Bump for the sunday morning crowd. Everyone needs to see this!

9. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Excellent post, it could save you $$$$$....... Thanks for taking the time to cut the filter apart and show pictures.....

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they aren't like that anymore, a lot of their oil filters don't even have a spring,just a plastic flapper that bypasses as soon as you start the engine.

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I had been looking for that oil filter link, thanks!! the frams are pure out garbage now, a long time ago they used to be good,but then again so did a lot of things. anybody else cut one open and find the string wrapped around the element? also they have cardboard end caps inside of the filter. what do you think happens to cardboard when it gets hot,soaked in oil and under pressure? also the only difference between the regular fram,and the expensive fram in the fancy box,is the mystery glop that is coating the element. I don't know about you,but i don't want some kind of mystery coating going through my engine. for another note,the bosch and the stp, same identical thing, used to be some of the best you could get,now they are made just like the fram inside. scratch another filter off the list. they are junk,heres my personal horror story, yea hate on my car.don't care, on my little 86, for some idiot reason put a fram on it for just a little while, don't remember why, the fucker came apart at high rpm, clogged the oil passages to my cam, (old hondas don't have cam bearings,the oil pressure is the bearing) the cam proceded to eat the bearing journals which are part of the head. also the metal from the cam journals circulated throughout the engine. I ended up tearing down the entire engine,which i had spent many hours rebuilding, and ended up rebuilding it over again, point,no mater what you are building ,if you care about it,don't use a fram.

12. moefuzz

moefuzz

Fram filters are complete junk. Shortly after installing a new fram filter, the internal disk collapses (because it is just cardboard and becomes oil soaked) which in turn allows 97% of the dirty engine oil to recirculate thru the engine.

A new fram filter will filter just 3% of the engine oil after the soaked cardboard disk turns to mush.

Fram filters have distroyed more engines and shortened the life of new engines at an alarming rate.

How much good does it do for you to faithfully replace your oil/filter every 3000 miles when the filter stops filtering within the first 100 or so miles?

Never Use Fram Filters Of Any Type, If fram cares so little about my pride and joy, why should I keep that shithole company in business just so the can rip me off again and again all the while my engine runs on dirty un-filtered oil.

jmho.

13. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Just replaced the Fram on the 318 today after one month of use. Started to leak, thought it was the seal but every time I wiped it down there was nothing. Just wet at the bottom around the black paint/rockguard stuff.

I agree, they're garbage just like too many other things today.

14. I swore off them a while back. Even worse, the 'Mart type stores carry even a cheesier line of Fram products, just made for them. The part number is slightly different than the regular Fram number. I had the rattle upon starting on my 305 Chevy, put up with it for 3 days and went to a Delco.

Bob

15. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

Bottom line, I run only Wix filters on my hemi, and Gibbs hot rod oil (has the zinc for flat tappet).

The way I figure it, if they give fram filters away for free when you buy five quarts of oil, then the product is designed for the kind of people who would put anything in their engine to get the oil light to go out.

16. PRoz

PRoz

I was traveling with a Donaldson Filter Rep last week and if I remember the conversation correctly, there are only 3 big Filter manufacturers in the US. Donaldson,Wix and Fleetguard. Those 3 also do R&D and engineering, some other filter "makers" do not.

I personally run Fleetguard on most of my vehicles and have never had an issue with anyone of them related to a filter.

17. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I will never --repeat after me--- never run a F..Ing Fram filter in any of my engines..no matter the application..
    I have taken apart alot of filters in the past 7 or so years..(its out of Aviation Habit)
    They (fram) have shown me they dont care about their customers, or their cutomers engines..ive seen their lack of quality..from the inside.
    So in turn..I dont care about Fram.

I have no problem paying an extra few dollars for something i know will not fuck up my engine that is worth way way more than some shit ass filter..
    Nothing will piss you off more than having a 3 dollar filter fuck up your expensive mill..throw a few more bucks at it, it will serve you well and you will be able to rest easy.

18. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I had one split the seam and leak on a 92 F150 and wont use one again. Jeff

19. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

i use a "Pure Power" filter on my hot rod [355 chevy] and my daily [late model dodge hemi]. air craft quality, re-useable, go to their website- some very interesting information there.

20. I had the same problem with the Fram fuel filters in the past will not run anything Fram in anything i own ever again.

21. Anyone know who makes the house brand filters for Advanced Auto? I have one left yet to use - there was a buy one, get one deal the last time I needed filters. I figure if it's really a Fram, I'll just go buy something better and I'm not really out anything.

22. scrible

scrible

Here's the mess I had in my driveway when the threads stripped after about 1000 miles on a FRAM filter and it shot off at startup. My Jeep has a built AMC 360, the inside of the filter looked similiar to the one posted, it was collapsed. I'm just glad it didn't damage the aluminum heads on my oil pump assembly, they aren't cheap for AMC's.

I have not used a FRAM filter since. I have been using WIX filters from O'reillys as much as I can even though I work for Autozone. *hides in corner*

I am going to try out the K&N oil filters one of these days. Looking at them they seem to be built very well.

Click HERE for pic.

23. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

24. I'm so glad I found this thread when I did. I could have seriously fucked myself up big time. This seriously needs to be a STICKY! I changed my oil and oil filter this last weekend in my '50 Dodge. I picked up a Fram filter thinking that it had to be better than the no-name brands at the local Advance Auto Parts. Wow, was I wrong. After driving to work and back I noticed my oil pressure gauge jumping around like crazy. From 45 psi down to zero back up to 20 to zero back to 60 and down to zero. I just figured my gauge had crapped out on me. I picked up a new gauge yesterday, but luckily I found this thread first before I installed it. I looked up where to buy a Wix oil filter from their website. I ended up finding it at a local little mom and pops store down the street that I didn't even know existed. The owner said it was good to finally see someone that actually cared about what they were putting in their car. I just finished installing it and instantly my oil pressure is 5-10 psi better and consistent! I never could have imagined in my wildest dreams that changing an oil filter could have such a huge impact on performance, but with a quick drive around the block my motor feels sooooo much healthier. WOW. From now on I am swearing by Wix filters. THANKS!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  25. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I'll try the wix now,i haven't driven my car in a while due to working on it,and it and it still has one of the "good" bosch filters on it,before they changed. the old ones were good,then they went cheap and went to junk. I guess no one notices the oil flucuations on the fram,because most people have idiot lights now. even if the light came on a lot of people would just keep driving until the engine blew up anyway. whats that oil light thingy? must be the check engine light.

26. lurch423

lurch423

the reason your camry was rattling was the factory toyota filters have an anti drain back valve in them the cheap fram filters dont thats hard on a toyota . dont hate me but i work for a toyota dealer i think the wix filters have one but not sure i run a fl1a on my ford ran them on my race car no proublms i run ac delco filters on my gmc truck also no proublms

27. A GREAT READ

Oil Filters Revealed: http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/index.html

Everything you need to know about the Oil Filters manufactured today. Includes recommended filters and filters to avoid.

I wish everyone could know this information. I'm going to try and pass it on to everyone I know.

28. Incidentally.. A string? what are they doing, using tampons for the element?

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

they wrap it around the filter element to hold it in place during assembly,idiots leave them in sometimes

30. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

yep most overhead cam engines have one so the pump isn't dry on startup