Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Four Lane Dragstrip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Aug 9, 2009.

1. yeah and that bald guy Rich Christensen thinks he invented runnin for titles:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Bravo guys, thanks for setting it straight. Great shots. Thanks for sharing. Slim

3. Jimv

Jimv

National speedway on long island ran 4 across also
    JimV

4. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

NY National Speedway, in Center Moriches, L.I. definately ran 4 wide back in the day, went there once when they opened up in like Feb., think it was 1971, street cars with snow tires still on, those guys wanted to RACE!

5. hotdamn

hotdamn

if it involves the possibility of making money I can promise you that bull shit is somewhere near...

now that said the Iron Lords shop is next door to the drag strip and hearing the jet cars while we are working is always a good time:)

dip shit anouncer or not.

6. moparjack44

moparjack44

Probably the biggest and bestest ever, IMO.
    Jackie

7. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

NY National Speedway ran 4 wide all the time.

Attached Files:

8. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

I was there for the pinks deal, they said first time alot..... but it was in reference to the first time NATIONALLY televised. as hotdamn said earlier hearing the jet cars run while were working in our shop is pretty rad....i was told they ran 4 wide with them this Past weekend....and it sure sounded like it.

9. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OHIO, AHRA, DRAGWAY 42 ran 4 lanes - 2 Separate Tracks next to each other with a guardrail in the middle. The stockers slower than 14:00 was right lanes and the faster cars were the left lanes. Both had their own pits with a cross over walkover walk way, same as INDY.

10. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Then they should all vear down to one lane like the off ramp on the interstate give them something to race for:D:eek::D:eek:

11. panel1

panel1
    from michigan

The first was Detriot dragway about 56-59. I think it was 59? Well Rich needs to love drag racing and not just do it because it was job he could make money at his words not mine. Then he would know what it was. Its getting better he is learning as he goes.

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

no words can descibe my thoughts..................

Four-abreast Top Fuel, Funny Car exhibitions planned for NHRA Carolinas Nationals
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009
    <table align="right" border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="400"> <tbody> <tr> <td>[​IMG]</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> For the first time in NHRA history, modern Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars will race four lanes, four wide, unleashing a powerful assault of 28,000 horsepower on spectacular zMax Dragway.
    In what is sure to be a must-see demonstration of the ultimate in high-horsepower performance, four NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and four NHRA Funny Cars will race in a four-wide configuration during separate races in a special exhibition event just prior to the final round of the NHRA Carolinas Nationals Sunday, Sept. 20.
    In the 1960s and early 1970s, four-lane drag racing was occasionally conducted at non-NHRA dragstrips, primarily throughout the Midwest, with a few exhibitions held at tracks in California and Maryland. The fastest cars of that era were just breaking the 230-mph barrier.
    Today&#8217;s modern Top Fuel dragsters cover the 1,000-foot race distance in 3.8 seconds at more than 315 mph. Funny Cars travel the same distance in 4.0 seconds at 310 mph.
    The drivers for each four-wide exhibition race will be determined that day among those drivers who lose in the first round of eliminations at the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series event. Those who have the higher standing in the NHRA championship points order will be given the first opportunity to participate in the unique exhibition.
    <table align="right" border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="400"> <tbody> <tr> <td>[​IMG]
    Four-abreast drag races were a sometime Midwestern novelty in the late 1960s.
    </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> &#8220;With Bruton Smith&#8217;s state-of-the-art zMax Dragway, which features four lanes for competition, we have an opportunity to offer this incredible attraction to our fans,&#8221; said Tom Compton, NHRA president. &#8220;It will be the first time that fans can witness modern Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars running four wide. With 28,000 horsepower, it certainly will be a memorable spectacle to see.&#8221;
    Smith, chairman and chief executive officer of Speedway Motorsports Inc. and creator of zMax Dragway, agrees.
    &#8220;Simply put, this is why we made sure that the greatest dragway ever built had four lanes,&#8221; Smith said. &#8220;Imagine the spectacle of nitro cars running four wide at over 300 miles per hour. It&#8217;s something that people will be talking about for decades to come and an awesome display of power that you&#8217;ll have to be in attendance to feel firsthand. I&#8217;m very thankful to Tom Compton and NHRA for bringing this vision to reality.&#8221;
    The NHRA Carolinas Nationals, Sept. 17-20, is the first of six races in the NHRA playoffs, the Countdown to 1. ESPN2 and ESPN2HD will televise the NHRA Full Throttle Drag Racing Series event. Tickets for the NHRA Carolinas Nationals are available by calling 800-455-3267 or logging on to www.lowesmotorspeedway.com.

13. frank spittle

frank spittle

You beat me to the scoop Mazooma1. I was at the press conference last week at zMAX when John Force and Bruton announced the second date next year but there was no talk of the FOUR FUEL CARS then. I will be one of the HAMBERS who sees it up close an personal.

14. I Drag

I Drag

Don't get too upset about the mis-information. That's just "hype" done by someone that doesn't know any better for the purpose of the event.

Not to hijack the thread, but...I have for years envisioned drag racing done 8 lanes at once, just like a track meet. A national event could be done in one day. I know, ya'll hate it...flame me. Whatever.

15. rondonrus

rondonrus
    from Las Vegas

Does anyone know who took this and where it is at?

16. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Sorry i don't have pics ,,but in '62 ,,when i was stationed at the A F Base at Roswell ,,i went to the drags at the old abandened Flying Wing Air Base at "Hobbs N Mex" ,,,the Super Stock Nationals ,,,Dickie Harrell ,,Dyno Don ,,Etc ..Etc ,,there was so many entrants ,,all the elimination rounds were FOUR lane races ,except the final was a TWO lane ,,Dickie Harrell VS Dyno Don ,,,,,that's when i first met Dickie Harrell ,,9 years later,,in '71 i was on his SS Race team at Fred Gibb Chevrolet ,,LeHarpe ,Illinois ,,before he got killed in late in '71 ,

17. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Anyone on here from Fresno, I'm pretty sure Blackie ran 6 wide, while he ran the strip. Roger

18. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

That was published in either Drag News ,,or the NHRA or the AHRA Paper ,,can't remember which ,,but in '69 , i subscribed to all three when i was in Alasla ,,

19. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

When I was stationed at Great Lakes Training Facility about 1965, we went to Rockford, Illinois dragstrip. They ran stockers four at a time, with traffic lights to start the races if my memory serves me.

20. biscaynes

biscaynes

jeff tinsley photo, very sure at york.

21. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Hell, we used to run four abreast a Lions back in the early 60's. We even had some LeMans starts once in a while.

22. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Biscaynes is right, its a Jeff Tinsley photo that was taken at York. Jenkins did win!!

23. dlotraf

dlotraf

Miami Hollywood was built the same way. Two strips side by side with dividing wall between them. Used to go in the early 70's to watch and ran a few times. They didn't do all 4 lanes at once that I remember. But may have at one time or another. They like that term "The First" you know, like the first time it was telivised on this network at 3:00 on the 12 sunday of the month. Ya gotta listen to the fine print. Gotta love the hype......