Register now to get rid of these ads!

Four doors were cool too!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stratocaster, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

that's what we did to our '50 plymouth. it garners a lot of questions thats for sure! we've encountered several old timers that first ask "so is this a two door or what?"

2. PB,how do you wear your hair?,,does your hair hang low?,,do you tie it in a ribbon?,,do you tie it in a bow? do you hang it across your shoulder like a continental soldier does your hair hang low? :D

Being a child of the 60's it's hard to let go of things that don't let go,,hair is one of them!:D HRP

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

4 drs. were never cooler than a 2 dr. As mentioned, they were better than no car, but no matter what anyone said nice about them it was always with, "too bad it's a 4 door." at the end of the sentence.
    And my car is a 4 dr., but then Austin didn't make a 2 dr. in 1946, so I'm stuck.

4. dmikulec

dmikulec

And it could be argued that part of the "tradition" included kids making due with what they could afford back in the day. And like it or not, if you're going to include everyone, part of that "tradition" includes 4 doors and wagons. :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  5. dmikulec

dmikulec

Liking the Fairlane! :cool:

6. dmikulec

dmikulec

Post 'em. I'd like to see some! :cool:

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

Wrong.
    Two doors were no more expensive than four doors "back in the day". You obviously weren't there. Not your fault, but why try to tell us how it "was"? A twenty five or fifty dollar car was not going to go up or down in value because of the amount of doors. That didn't come until later.

8. I like mine!! this is the 3rd 39 DeLuxe Sedan I've owned and its the best one. So, if you like it fine...if not, your loss..cause I'm Cruzin.:cool:

Attached Files:

9. raidmagic

raidmagic

When I was a kid I prefered two doors to four doors. I had a 4 door 72 Chevelle in high school, it was given to me and I longed for a two door. Now that I'm older I'm building a 4 door 46 studebaker and activing searching for a 4 door late 20's early 30's anything for my next project.

10. dmikulec

dmikulec

LOL! If you say so. :rolleyes:

11. Special Ed

Special Ed

Well, if you had been, you'd know that affordability was not an issue. A twenty-five dollar car's value was not determined by the amount of doors it possessed, as you asserted. :cool:

12. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I'll start with Leroy French's 4 door 1949 Plymouth

He was in San Francisco. His dad ran a chrysler dealership and he picked this as his own car because of the convenience of 4 doors. Leroy is still around and a well-renowned ocean photographer. His son was on the HAMB for a brief stint and was going to fill us in with pictures and stories about the cars; but he never resurfaced. The car has been missing since Leroy sold it

LeRoy_French_49_Plymouth01-vi.jpg

LeRoy_French_49_Plymouth02-vi.jpg

P9120001-vi.jpg

P9120004-vi.jpg

PA020063-vi.jpg

P9120002-vi.jpg

13. dmikulec

dmikulec

The economics were a bit different where I grew up, in the snow belt where cars typically started to rust away from road salt rot after just a few years.

Hell, a five year old car with the floorpans still intact was a rarity. :eek:

14. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Here is a 1950 Plymouth

ustom_Rodder_Cover_50_Plymouth-vi.jpg

15. 53Hattie

53Hattie

I do hafta chuckle when ease of access is mentioned as a plus factor for 4Drs, ...for whom I ask? I don't give a ratz if my [rare] backseat passengers have to wad themselves up to get in, ...I'm 6'3" and I'm the one who has to get in & out every time the car moves & 2Drs are easier for me! Kinda like the one about the gal who laughed at the dude with the small tool & asked him who he expected to please with THAT, ...uhuh.

16. Actually the debate is cool factor. Sure there were a lot of four doors that got driven, some got painted and lowered but at the end of the day they were still grocery getters.

Here is an interesting thought that flew through my head earlier today. I did part of my highschool in a farm town in Oregon and part of my high school in a farm town here in Missouri. Both places I noticed one thing as cool cars go. If your car was pre '48 it needed to be a Ford to be cool, if it was a '50s car it pretty much needed to be a tri 5 chebby to be cool.

Just an observance.

17. I guess it's best we all agree to disagree,whether you like it or not everyone has an opinion and there's one thing for sure,,4 door cars made before 1964 qualify as traditional fodder for this site.:rolleyes: HRP

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.