Register now to get rid of these ads!

Four doors were cool too!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stratocaster, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratocaster

stratocaster

So many threads mention that four doors were the last thing anyone would drive or ride in during the 60s.I disagree.I grew up in Kansas city and Colorado Springs in the 60s and alot of guys had four doors.Some were handed down as first cars.A friend had a fifty chev that was lowered,nosed and decked,had dual exhaust and was painted gold.Another had a fifty Plymouth with a scallop paint job.No one cared if they had four doors.There were many shoeboxes,Dodges,Mercs,etc. cruising and going to the outdoor movies.Plus you can easily stuff a lot of friends into a four door.The main thing was to have a car and it didn't matter how many doors it had.

2. RadioFlyer

RadioFlyer

Not around here, its a people mover appliance car. Even my mum at 80+ years doesn't see a 4 door as a cool car. =-) Not to say it can't become cool with some personalization. Until it gets to that point however, the 4-door stigma still sticks.

Alex.

3. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Two-doors are still preferable to four-doors.

"Some were handed down at first cars" and "The main thing was to have a car" pretty much sum it up for me. A four-door beats walking, that's for sure, but it ain't a two-door.

4. Jagman

Jagman

I grew up in KC in the 50's and 60's too, and I'm sorry but respectfully disagree.....as an "uncool" highschooler driving a 4dr Pontiac, I got plenty of feedback about it.

The cool kids drove GTOs, 442's, 57 Chevies and even the occasional E-Type and 'Vette (there were more than a few rich kids in my public high school), the rest of us drove whatver the folks let us, and we were grateful for anything to drive!

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

yep...four-doors cars were not "in" at all. We accepted them, as any transportation was better than none. One of the coolest kids in school had a 4dr Olds...but he sure wanted a 2dr anything. Only one guy hopped up a 4dr. Larry P had a 49 Plymouth with a warmed-over flattie. Two carbs...lumpy cam...split exhaust...Larry was cool...and so was his car. I went to HS in a farming community in E Wa...most vehicles in the parking lot were pickups...with rifle racks. My dad was "the Banker", so no farm trucks, I had to go get my own coupe (47 Merc) or accept the 'hand-me-down' Nash that "the Banker" was going to trade in on his next Nash Kelvinator transportation item. Pretty sure that different parts of the country had different 'de rigeur' for coolness on wheels, but west coast hotrodders eschewed anything that smacked of "family ride".

dj

6. 4 doors is better than no doors.

7. outlaw256

outlaw256

not when i was a kid growing up in chicago area, it was 2 drs. or walk.ive seen it with my own eyes a couple times. 2 boys i knew each turned down 4 dr. cars that were offered to them for free.still to this very day,i dont like 4dr cars.they just dont look cool. but now thats just me. some people love them. i had 2 kids that we hauled around in 2 dr.cars.never even thought about gettin a 4 dr.. even my wagons are 2 dr. but my son does drive a 65 falcon wago 4 dr.my son not me.

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

no they weren't

9. This is a cool four door.

Attached Files:

10. busguy71

busguy71

I've got a lead on a '57 Chevy 4-door HARDTOP!!! 327/4 speed, Cool as hell, but just a bit too much $$$ for me.... too bad

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

4 Doors can be made coolER, but they certainly weren't "cool" around here.

"Hey check out that car-oh wait, it's a 4 door" HA.

12. no,they werent cool, its just better to have a 4 door than no car at all just as all previously posted.

they can be made to look cool sure,made to look real cool,but a 2 door can be better with the same amount of work.

as shooter above mentioned, i have said that many times, 'look thats a cool-oh damn its a 4 door'

13. Larry T

Larry T

But not by much.

About the only way a 4 door could get any respect around here is if it could outrun the new musclecars. And that didn't happen very often because if you could afford the engine, you could afford a 2 door to put it in.
    Larry T

14. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I drove an Olds Vista wagon during some of highschool It wasnt much good for picking up girls but it was pretty good for after ya got them.

15. I had a '51 Ford more door in the late fifties. I dropped the front end, put duals on it, primered it, painted the wheels red and intalled porta- walls on them. Oh, and hung some fuzzy dice in the rv mirror. It was cool but not as cool as a 2 door.

16. Four doors were cool too!

No, they really weren't. Not then and not now - but the passage of time has made them a little more acceptable, but not as a HOT ROD, maybe as a Cruiser or Borderline Custom.

Are there some 4 doors that are cool? Sure 61-69 Suicide Door Lincolns come to mind , but they aren't Hot Rods, they are just kind of cool on their own - exception to the rule

17. RAG66

RAG66
    from WASHINGTON

My wife and I bought a 64 Impala 4dr. hardtop. It was a great driver, fun to drive but it just didn't quite cut the mustard. Now several years later we inherited her Dad's 66 Impala convertible. Here I stand to say, Yes I know it is not HAMB friendly, but it is a 2dr. & a convertible, I did the duals and tourque thrusts now it is "cool".

18. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

WHO CARE'S how many door's a car has, Of course I wasn't around back then but things have changed since then. I'm sure people didn't consider wagons, tow trucks,dump trucks,semi's,farm tractors, and other machinery to be cool back then either but almost everybody ( us car guy's ) considers them cool now.

19. MANY people care! Why? because it has to do with the lines and flow of the design of the car. 2 door cars have always been considered more sporting or better looking and that's because they are. Wagons always had a place with racers in particular, but otherwise were considered family cars. Two door wagons certainly trump 4 door wagons to this day!
    And Dump Trucks - are you kidding - there is nothing cool about a Dump Truck.
    And while old tractors are cool for being old pieces of machinery, they aren't Hot Rod, Customs or anything else that has to do with this board.

20. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

mine has 4 Doors, not ashamed of it

Attached Files:

21. Abomb

Abomb

Other than tri5 GM 4 door hardtops, designers designed good looking 2 doors, and then, since the factories needed to offer 4 doors for families, somebody got the gruesome task of tacking on a couple more doors, many times destroying the designers vision.....

Some 4 doors are cool, some can be made cool, most are not cool.

Call me an asshole in you wish, this thread won't be up long anyway, they never are....

22. belair

belair

Not many 4 doors were as well styled as their 2 -door counter-parts. My 56 Chevy 4 door hardtop and the Buick and Olds 4 door hardtops are the only exeptions, in my often ignored opinion.

23. smarg

smarg

Hitler rocked a 2 door.

4 doors cool? Eh, no.

(Click for full detail)

Attached Files:

24. Abomb

Abomb

Told ya this wouldn't be here long ^^^^ WTF ???

25. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I have owned(still own) several four doors and have no problem with them at all, but even I am tired of all the damn four door threads lately. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION PEOPLE! There are already tons of threads on the subject.

26. 1320/150

1320/150

This is awesome.... I was hoping we could have another 4 door - 2 door debate. I wonder what we are all gonna come up with this time?

27. And next we're going to add in what kind of oil to use in your 4 door, should it be Flat Black with Red wheels, and Radials or Bias plys? Hang on, this is cutting edge shit coming up. :rolleyes:

28. nothing like beating a dead horse.... if you think that four door cars can be/are cool then that is great... this is about as bad as the chevy vs ford debate...

29. ToDieFor

ToDieFor
    from MN

I love my 4 door............... :cool:

30. 02lowrider

02lowrider
    from Round Rock

I went with four so I could take my kids with me cruising when it's done. And it was in my price range...so, lol. Still cooler than a "new" four door!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.