Register now to get rid of these ads!

Four door to Two door question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by time_xx, Oct 15, 2009.

1. time_xx

time_xx

I am curiuos as to how guys that cut down 4 doors into 2 doors deal with the title. Do you just run it with the four door title or do you have to have it retitled?

One more, if you have a two door car, but a four door title and all the needed tags(VIN and such)do you switch over all the ID tags to the two door and claim it cut down?

2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I can't see anyone ever caring, unless (a) the VIN was bad or (b) the DA was trying to make a RICO case against you and was going after every little thing.

3. chevrolet150

chevrolet150

I leave the vin and title that comes with the car alone. Period! The car will always be a 4-dr even though the car would now be a two door after conversion. If people are making two doors out of four doors and not disclosing that upon a sale then that is a problem that can get you in jail. I have never had a problem with anybody by disclosing the cars orgin( i sold my 55 in my avatar and it was a x-four door). It is a customized car after it is converted and that is easier to explain than a tampered with vin and title.

As for as switching vins and titles.....well If you like jail time then I guess you would want to go that route. I like to sleep at nite and not worry about if my car will get taken from me so I keep it legit. Tim

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As Chevrolet 150 said, it's too easy to get in deep crap by running a bogus title these days.
    If you have the 4 door and the frame is good you might go to the dmv first and ask a hypothetical question in that you have a four door with a crusty body and you have the chance to get a good 2 door body to put on your frame, then ask how many hoops you have to jump through to make it proper. A rebuilt title that states you did a body change would make it proper, that is if you actually switched bodys.
    You would have to have a receipt or bill of sale for the two body when you did it but I sure would investigate that avenue.
    Investigate the possiblilities first, do what you are going to do second.