Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Four Corners Colorado Cruise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by klawockvet, Feb 20, 2022.

1. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I started a thread earlier this year looking for HAMB guys in Four Corners and mentioned getting together for a cruise on Saturday May 14th. My wife and I took a drive yesterday on back roads that went past a couple of National Monuments and took the side trip to the Four Corners Monument. We saw a lot of beautiful country along roads that are exactly what we drove on back in the fifties. So its a go with whoever shows up. Lets meet at Bubba's Cafe in beautiful downtown Lewis Colorado at 8 to 9:00 for breakfast and then off on paved back roads on a loop through the spectacular country of the four states, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah that join their borders in the Navajo Nation. Bubba's is a HAMB friendly cafe located 12 miles NW of Cortez, Colorado. The place is owned by a HAMB friendly guy with a couple of rods and a project. There are many motels and all other services in Cortez including the Retro Inn, that has a 50's theme. This is an informal, small, no fee backyard event and we will plan it as it unfolds.

Here's the disclaimer: I have no freaking idea how to set up a car cruise. In fact my only experience is dragging main and that was over 60 years ago. However Bubba himself has a bunch of No-Club car friends, some of whom will undoubtedly join us and they do things like this all the time. If anyone is still around on Sunday we will discuss a second day that could include a short trip over to Mesa Verde, Rico, Durango and the Silverton Narrow Gauge RR, or whatever. As I said earlier we could end with a barbeque at my place thats about a mile from Bubbas. I'll bring the beer.

You can PM me for any details I left out.
    Dave

2. 1) Get a head count so you can warn the joints you hit along the way that a swarm of people are coming.
    2) Plan gas/relief stops every 50-75 miles so people can deal with small tanks (both natural and mechanical) and re-join in case traffic splits the train.
    3) Publish maps of the route in case people get lost!
    4) Have a photographer who can run ahead and take pictures along the route so the rest of us can enjoy the cars and maybe make plans for next year.
    5) Don't call it the "first annual" event...that's a bad use of English...call it the "Inaugural (whatever)" event. Next year can be the "second annual" one.
    6) Reach out to the Hot Rod Hundred folk to get more tips!
    7) Realize that things may go a little ca-ca, so be flexible and adaptable. The next one will be better, and the one after that, and....

Good luck with the run, hope it's a fun one!

WalkerMD and Bob Lowry like this.
  3. RodStRace

RodStRace

I'm in for this, have had quite a start to this year so far. PM sent.
    Will not have my HAMB car ready, will bring a pickup. Can carry extra fluids and stuff as needed.
    For those joining that will carry non-HAMB electrical devices (smart phones) sharing numbers with others can help keep track of everyone, too.
    Have a Group text for progress alerts, breakdowns, etc.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2022
  4. Hoping!!

K.I.S.S

Ben

5. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Nitrobrother, great adivce given. My 38yr old son did 4 rallys this year, and everything you listed is spot on to
    make it fun and safe. Nice job! Bob

6. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, Time to resurrect this thread. We are a week away from May 14-15 and the weather report says its going to be 68° and sunny at Bubba's. Not too many people have shown an interest but the plan is still to meet at Bubba's for breakfast on Saturday morning between 8:00 and 9:00. Nitrobrother had some good suggestions. I can publish a map of the suggested route. Due to the remote area and lack of commitment I doubt any business needs to get a heads up. Only chance for a photographer on an event this small will be someone with a smart phone. I can probably make that happen. I never said this was a "first annual event" or even an inaugural event. However its a nice time of year to take a ride so I will probably keep doing it with my wife and the dog. I have no idea who the "Hot Rod Hundred" people are so I'll just wing it. One of the few gatherings I really wanted to do was the New Years Cruise in SoCal but I never made it. I did see there were very few who actually showed up so I have no great exceptions here. Hope you can make it.

firstinsteele and pprather like this.
  7. Dave, I was planning to push down to join you, but, we head out for a monthlong trip on the 17th AND I have to fly Monday to Chi-RAQ to drive my daughter back home after a failed relationship so that leaves no time for "MIKES CAR FUN". Hope you get a good turnout, I really believe it will be a fun time. The Chevy has been begging for some good road time with all the DRY weather weve been having. Next time for sure, thanks, Mitch.