Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Four AV8 RPU Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rpu28, Jul 30, 2022.

1. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

After many years, I'm getting close to the road with my early-1950's theme '28 RPU highboy. Four questions:

1) I'm keeping the stack gas tank, gas gauge, and dash, and putting the ignition switch where the speedometer was. Are there any gauges (besides the really cheap ones on Amazon) that will fit in the remaining two dash holes, or should I think about using short pieces of pipe as extensions for the gauges so they clear the gas tank and/or count on using the two-gauge panel that mounts below the stock dash?

2) There are plenty of retro-styled ammeters, but where are the small-diameter (nominally 2 and 1/16), retro-styled oil pressure and water temperature gauges? Prefer electrical sending units.

3) My frame has the Tardel Z and is extended 7.5 inches to accommodate a spring-behind banjo rear end. What's the best way to mount the stock-length bed? Specifically, does it involve wood?

4) So far, my firewall has nothing mounted to it (battery, regulator, etc. are under the seat). Where can I hide the horn?

2. Drive'em

Drive'em

I too use the stock gas tank. My whole dash unit was extended to accomodate the gauges. I used Classic Instruments Moon guages and the stock gas guage. It did however need a piece of exhaust pipe added to accomodate the difference in depth. It looks almost stock.

3. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

Thanks for the replies, oldmtech and Drive'em.
    I'm going to use old-style Moons or SW gauges with the extension bushings as shown in the pix above.

I guess my other questions were not very interesting.