Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage FOUND: Vintage Tin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Feb 16, 2018.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

FOUND: Vintage Tin

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Cool that old stuff is still out there, even though it wasn't a 32 ford. I chased many over the years and even when it turned out to be a 35 pickup, 39 chevy they turned out to be fun projects.

3. town sedan

town sedan

Thanks for the old R&C photo, gives me an idea for a hop vine trellis. Saw a fence once made out of Model T frames.
    -Dave

4. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

I chase down railroad history in Montana every year, which gets me to some out of the way spots. This photo was taken in 2015...I was in the area this past year and didn't see these cars although I may have missed the place. I counted six '36 Fords. DSC06221 reduced size.jpg

5. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

This person keeps everything. Some old cars among a large plot of DSC06230 reduced.jpg mining and farming machinery.

Ron Funkhouser and catdad49 like this.
  6. Well written, J., it's a good read and it's easy to feel with you. H.A.M.B. always makes my friday!

J.Ukrop and hidez57 like this.
  7. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

The mountain behind these cars slipped behind these cars in Montana (photos taken July 2017) P1020803 reduced.jpg P1020803 reduced.jpg P1020801 reduced.jpg P1020809 reduced.jpg . It looked like he'd moved them to roadside in order to get them away from more slippage. There were some badly crushed cars (not shown here) that appeared to have been crushed by huge rocks.

8. You were riding shotgun in your own truck?

9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Typing and driving is frowned upon in some states out here. @Ryan and @TRJ 's deadlines keep me on my toes. ;)

enloe, Ron Funkhouser and catdad49 like this.
  10. catdad49

catdad49

Hey Dan, the first picture looks like it came from a CARS movie. He likes big trucks!!

11. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before I went in the Army (1966) I had broken a transmission (and didn't have the skills to fix it) and was sorta working the bill off at a local shop. The brothers that ran it weren't a lot older than me and spent lots of time together looking for old cars. They had a 37 Chevy that had a broken motor and a new motor in the trunk. They let me learn about pulling motors in old cars and counseled me on the way. I could have purchased it for $150 but who wants a fairly clean four door 37 Chevy?? They also had a 40 Ford two door sedan, Pontiac v8, painted Mustang Poppy Orange/Red?, I drove it and the front end was junk, found out that the guy that bought it rolled it a few months later, $150, couldn't afford either one. Move along a few years, Army done, college done, same guys had a 34 Ford coupe, firewall cut out, good body other than that and it came with a 34 two door parts car that had been hit in the rear, today that would have been an easy fix, $500, that was about 1973. Do you want to talk about the other good deals I either passed on or couldn't afford? I wish that was the only bad choices I made.

12. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

Looking for old stuff is my favorite thing to do. A buddy from Tech and I go out once, or twice a year. We almost always come home with something.

13. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine was working on a pipeline up in northcentral CO in the early 90's . He came upon a place that was full of old crawlers , cast iron radiator trucks , old steel wheeled tractors and old cars . He would stop in there once a week on his way back to the nearest town for supplies . Never found anyone around but there were car tracks in and out. He took a bunch of pictures and showed me . It was amazing.

14. Roger Roadster

Roger Roadster

My favorite part of the hobby, the hunt!

spurgeonforge and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  15. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Great story Joey :) Thanks a lot for sharing as we all know the beating of the heart and doubtfulness of how to approach it all.

Personally, I just got lucky enough to pick up a real deal Henry Deuce roadster body...... Imagine that! Dreams do come true if you care to wait for them ;)

Attached Files:

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

17. My brother and I use to take the "blue hiways" rather than the interstates whenever possible to look for V.T. On a trip from Oregon to Nebraska one time we found a LOT of vintage tin. In the back of his Nissan pickup we had a 28-29 model A pickup back panel and some 40 ford front fenders taken from the Wyoming sage brush when we happened upon this "32 ford coupe" in the photo. I believe it was really a 31-32 GM product.
    Great memories and I captured most of them on video tape. On this same trip we'd found the 40 front fenders 1/2 way up a hill side and debated climbing the rest of the way up the hill to see the other side . We decided to do it and from the top we could see way off in the distance a brown, rusted square shape. We thought it might be a model A or T body so we hiked about a mile through the sage brush in 95 degree heat.. when we got there the old car body was an almond painted clothes dryer!
    scotty32pontiac.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    HEMI32 and J.Ukrop like this.
  18. six5monster

six5monster

J.Ukrop likes this.
  19. Nice story Joey. So this is the actual body from your story :eek:.
    joey 1.jpg joey 2.jpg joey 3.jpg

No, not really :(. Your fantasy was a 3 window :cool:. Just a few random pics i found right here on the h.a.m.b.

4ever18 likes this.
  20. Big Plan Dan

Big Plan Dan

Here are some more photos of the Montana cars I posted yesterday. P1020799.jpg P1020800.jpg P1020812.jpg

The37Kid likes this.