Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Found this today....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txturbo, Jul 29, 2014.

1. txturbo

txturbo

Going to take a close look at this car tomorrow. Need a little help identifying parts. I don't remember all the details of how to identify what year the pieces are. Body is 30-31 but I'm not sure if the radiator is the same...looks 28-29 to me.

Attached Files:

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  2. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1930, judging by the rad shell and cowl. Nice find.

3. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

'30 sport coupe with earlier front bumper.

4. txturbo

txturbo

I have a 30 sport coupe ....and this one doesn't have a canvas top. So just a plain coupe.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Front fenders are 28/9, so the side splash aprons are probably as well. And if the rear fenders fit nicely to the splash aprons, the rear fenders are probably 28/9 also. Since the bumper is early, maybe the whole chassis is early with a later body on it?

6. chstitans42

chstitans42

Looks awesome! Let us know when you drag it home!

7. Squablow

Squablow

I don't see any quarter windows in it so it doesn't appear to be a standard coupe. Is it a coupe at all? Could be a converted sedan-to-pickup type thing for all I can tell from the pic.

need louvers ? likes this.
  8. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Well, since there have been a few wild ass guesses, here is mine. 1928 or 1929 fordor cut down for a pickup. That is not a 1930 radiator shell. The front fenders are 28 or 29's. Not sure why the back fender has the step for a rumble seat if it was a fordor. The headlights look like the earlier model A but they are in too good of condition. If rusted, nickel plating 28-29, stainless steel, 30-31. Headlights might be from something else. The 28-29 also is pointy on the back, 30-31 are round. If wheels 21 inch, 28-29; 19 inch, 30-31.

Well, there you have it, just a guess. A few more pictures will make this easier but not as much fun.

Neal

9. Look how close the rear window is to the rest of the cowl/doors! '30 closed-cab truck with (as others have said) 28-29 fenders, etc.

10. I would point out the radiator shell; the 28 & 29 is shorter & the 30 & 31 is taller (look around at other sites & you will see what I mean). Next, the 28 & 29 cowl is more like that of a Model T & the 30 & 31 cowl is smooth - like the one in your picture. I would like to see a rear photo to see just what they did back there. Anyway - have fun!

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sure looks like a 1928-29 chassis and fenders with a 1930 radiator, hood, and cut down sedan body. A full side shot would confirm this. Bob

12. redo32

redo32

37Kid is right. 1929 Fordor cut down with '30 grille shell & aftermarket head lights. Might even be King Bee.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

The hood fits the cowl real well, I think the body is 30-31 as well. Bob

14. 55willys

55willys

I think it could be a sport coupe that has been sheet metaled in with a rumble seat. Jim

15. Cowl is definitely a 30-31 - matches up too well with the '30 grille radiator & has the stainless band (yes, I know earlier Murray & Briggs fodors had bands as well).

Headlights are not Model A; headlight bar is 30-31.

16. Cool find indeed !! Looks 1930 from the chassis up, im picking a cut down sedan. JW

17. redo32

redo32

It seems I used some bad language and the moderators deleted it. What I meant to say, is if you kind intelligent gentlemen would research Henry Fords Model A perhaps you would learn that Murray made the '29 Fordor and it had a smooth cowl and a cowl band. I thereby deduce that this is a cut down '29 Fordor with a '30 grille & hood. After market head lights and as someone pointed out probably coupe rear fenders. I would like to thank Jim for allowing me to hi jack his picture from the world wide web. When the OP posts some more pictures we may learn more.

Attached Files:

18. redo32

redo32

I keep looking at the picture and it bothers me that there is a difference in the '29 and '30 visors, but I don't know what that is. And someone mentioned that the '30 hood might not fit the '29 Fordor cowl. When the Model A experts wake up in the morning they may prove me wrong and I will gladly concede, but I want to see a picture of the dash.

19. Yip, its a curly one. Very interesting all the same. JW

20. txturbo

txturbo

Thanks for all the info.... I added a picture of the rear. That's all the pics I have until this evening. It does have a rumble seat but it doesn't have the quarter window like a coupe. Not sure what is going on there just yet. The guy says he has other parts but didn't say what.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  21. clem

clem

Model A 3 window coupe. - so they did make one !!! Or someone did.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. ........................That's what it looks like to me from the photos we have to go on. And it looks like it was a very nice job when it was done.

23. txturbo

txturbo

If that's what it is......then yes it does look like a nice job in the pictures. Could be a different story in person though. The cell phone pictures aren't very good but that was the best he could do. Will find out more this evening.

24. alchemy

alchemy

After you post the backside pic, I say yep rear bumpers are 28/9 too. I still think it's a 28/9 chassis and fenders with a 30 coupe body put on it. I think the headlights are aftermarket Deitz. The grille shell is a 30. I've got no idea when the quarter windows were filled, but somebody did it. That is not a cut down sedan, as the beltline is perfectly correct for a coupe as is rolls around the back side of the roof.

25. txturbo

txturbo

Yes....if you zoom in real close you can see the ridge that goes around the quarter window is still visible at the top. Looks like a leaf or something has blurred out the ridge on the rest of it.

26. I think that I agree with the cut down sedan theory. I can't comment on the Murray deal, that one always bites me in the *mule. The visor looks distinctively '29/9 to me, I can't tell you the real difference, my brain just says one or the other when I look at it.

redo32 I don't think that the mods go looking for rough language and if they are really bothered by it, it is because they were not around any of our "heroes of hot rodding" back in the day. It is more likely that someone got their panties in a bunch and hit the report button. Anyway let's give our mods the benefit of the doubt and say that it was one of our readers that took offense at your logger speak. ;)

* mule = ass for the less refined.

27. alchemy

alchemy

Visor sure looks like a 30/1 to me. And that front wheel is a 28/9.

28. Squablow

Squablow

Now that the back pic is posted, I'm even more confused than before. Could be a sport coupe with a sheetmetal'd in roof, or a standard coupe with a filled quarter window, but if it is, someone did it all in steel without any filler or lead and from what I can see, did a pretty nice job of it, too.

Now I REALLY want to see this thing out of the weeds with some nice clear pics! Looks like a cool item.

If I had my hands on this car and I was fixing it up, I think I'd definitely want to preserve the custom roof work and probably the fender/chassis swap too. Kinda too far gone to be preserved as a "survivor" but definitely fixable and has some neat custom touches already done to it.