Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Found this Old Chrysler...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dudford, Mar 9, 2012.

1. alicia-dusty

alicia-dusty

The tires are even up

2. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I'm wondering if there's some secret message in the numbering of the hood louvres. Very strange.

3. tjmercury

tjmercury

I wouldn't think twice about that price, heck, I would already have it on a trailer!

4. the finds in the states are good for a laugh - hell they were made over here...allways cool about what youse guys find - still - over across the big pond...

5. I'm gonna have to disagree, even though i know little to nothing on this. When comparing my block to that of a '53 Mopar and then to a '32 Mopar mine is definately more like the '53 in its casting.

Mine below:
    [​IMG]

'53 below:
    [​IMG]
    '32 below
    [​IMG]

right or wrong?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I dunno the last 2 pics look a lot alike..... good score, great price!!!!

7. When i was a school boy, the dictonary said the definition of "hot rod", is an old car with a more powerfull engine. If thats the case, this cool machine is already a hot rod.
    Well done, congrats.

8. farmer12

farmer12

Great find, congrats!

9. Here,s two pics i found on Ozrodders. 1929 Dodge coupe & it,s engine. :cool:

Attached Files:

10. Aaaw, that is one sweet ride! Thats one of the things I was thinking about today, whether to keep the wire wheel look or go for steels or alloys. I like the archetypal steel rims with white walls but, forgive me, its a little too obvious isn't it?

The other thing that went through my mind was whether I rip the wings off and go the open wheel affair.

I think I'm sold on the look in those photos now though, keep the wires and keep the wings with a few modifications.

For now I just need that starter motor...

11. Weasel

Weasel

Some translation from English to English (AM) and English (AUS) may be needed;): English wings = fenders (AM) = guards (AUS)....

In the same vein, bonnet = hood, hood or soft top = top or rag top, boot = trunk, boot lid = decklid, propshaft = driveshaft, carburettor = carburetor and the beat goes on....:D

12. cederholm

cederholm

Holly crap, what a great find!! Congratz!

13. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I would love to see it with the old speed equip. Maybe what a hard core Mopar guy woulf have done in the 40s. Hey and it already has juice breaks.

14. Wow!!!!!!!!!! MAKE THAT OFFER!!

15. ezdusit

ezdusit

Dudford,
    Congratulations on a super score! As an early Mopar fan, I love to see these cars getting preserved. My current project is a 1932 Model PB roadster. Very similar body construction to your project. I can't wait to see your progress...

16. I am happy to say that at long last I will be pickin up the 66 on Tuesday. Took a while to organise a trailer, apparently in the UK you can't just tow a car anymore, it has to be insured and road worthy.

Its sensible but a pain in the arse. Anyway, its coming home and its about time!

17. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Great find. Look for the p15/d24 forum & join, they know all about the quirks of your motor.

18. Finally got the Chrysler Home! At last I can make plans and start whatever it is that I'm going to do to it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I am curious to know is, if there were only 2014 of these built, how many are still running? Following that, how many could there possibly be in the UK?!!?

The guy who owned this before is a 95 year old guy who was a gunner in bombers during WW2. He had an old Bentley V12 single seater race car and a Model A... who knows what else that guys got tucked away?!?!

Be prepared everyone for me to ask plenty of questions!

Thanks all!

19. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Looks great, but according to the body serial number plate, its not a 66. I just looked in my library and found that Body Numbers 6,500,001-6,520171 denote a 1930 Chrysler CJ with a 6-Cylender Engine made in the Detroit Plant.

A 66 would have a Different formatted body number; H001WP-H262ER for Detroit-Built Cars and F001WP-F015CD for cars built in the Windsor Plant.

My Reference is: "The Serial Number Book for US Cars 1900-1975" by Grace Brigham

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  20. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

'Cool car...

21. Great Work! Thanks. Funny you should say that because I was looking and comparing my one to a "66" and I noticed that the detail on the Windscreen Visor (and also in front of the hood under the windscreen) was different and not like the 66!

It makes no odds as I've decided she's got to be rodded out and not restored. Whoever ripped the engine out and stuck the '53 Plymouth 6cyl flathead in made a total dogs breakfast of it. I'm still quite motivated to keep the mopar flat 6 but the guy who had it before chopped and changed quite alot, the carb itself is an enigma to the point where he introduced a new pump bolted to the side of a Rolls Royce Steering Column. THe Steering column has to go too, you cant even get your legs in to operate the pedals and even then its too far over in the cab. The engine isn't mounted on rubbers, its solidly bolted to the chassis... its quite funny really.

One thing I really need is some ideas on are what to do with the front leaf spring suspension. Thet jut out and look like they should have a bumper mounted to them but I think it looks ugly... ideas are most welcome!

22. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

See if you can take a look under a 1937-54 Mopar and look at the whole front end; it's IRS and might be the best fit? I wouldn't hazard a guess but perhaps the frame did not change too much.

After that it may be time for a front clip, in the States a Dodge Dakota (from the 1980s) front clip fits the frame quite nicely for those (1937-54) cars. I imagine that basic idea would be the easiest for you - find a small truck with frame (cab side) in the correct position and slice/splice it into your car. This gets you new steering, springs, etc and modern components too.

23. hkestes

hkestes

dudford,

From the pictures it looks as though it has the stock style saddle mount in the front. These actually did not have rubber mounts to the frame but did have a rubber block at the top of the saddle between the saddle and the flange on the plate which is mounted behind the timing cover. it sets just below the water pump. You can see it in the photos of my engine in my 48 Plymouth Coupe. The rubber block is held with 4 embedded bolts, 2 go through the saddle below and 2 go through the flange on the plate.

Not sure about the rear mounts on your car but on mine there are rubber biscuit type mounts on either side of the bellhousing to the cross member which is the way these were mounted from the early 40's through at least the late 50's.

There is a picture of the mounts I stole off EBay below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

24. excellent price i agree offer full price...then enjoy it!

25. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

not all good deals are in america. congratulations on a fine find.

26. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

27. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Nice find - now the build thread will keep us entertained

28. The requisition of parts begins!

Really looking for some advice on starter motors for this engine. Having established the engine in this as a 1953 Plymouth (thanks Rusty) see below. One thing is irritatingly missing...

[​IMG]

...the starter motor...
    [​IMG]

I have found, I think, one on (US) Ebay. Its listed as a 1952 1953 1954 Dodge Plymouth Starter http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-1953-1...Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6c88b475&vxp=mtr

I dont really understand how that would mount to the bell housing though?

HELP...please?!:confused:

29. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

That is the right type of starter for the 218. You can get them in 6v and 12v. Two bolts mount it to the hole in the bell housing. Because these engines were used into the mid 60's in everything from combines, airport tugs, welders, and water pumps, NAPA Autoparts in the states still carries most parts. Getting a new starter should be no problem.

Also, if that is the US made 23" block, you can swap the crank, rods, and flywheel from a 230 cu in engine. I did this with mine, and bored .030 over it worked out to a 235cu in. With some fun speed goodies, and and overdrive, that will cruise all day long anywhere you want to go.
    Here's a couple of pics of the flatty I built for my '50 Plymouth-
    I love the sound these engines make...
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OMukzqkY0Z8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Pete

Attached Files:

30. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Congratulations, tis a lovely motor for sure.