Register now to get rid of these ads!

History **Found this little gem a couple days ago, all original 1936 Dodge truck**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike hamel, Sep 3, 2011.

1. great truck, love the look... i woudn't change a thing

2. Loppy

Loppy

Beautiful! Great find! Send shipping quote and title to 33405! Loppy hates you ; )

3. farmer12

farmer12

Absolutely awesome to see that they are still out there. Keep it original and enjoy!

4. 4oldfords

4oldfords
    from Texas

f***ing amazing - congratulations on a great find

5. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

Great truck, what a find.

6. mike hamel

mike hamel

Put the fresh wheel cylinders, brake lines ect. on tonight! We should be able to get all the radiator hoses changed tomorrow, and same with the spark plugs and wires. It's coming along! I'm getting the wheels powder coated the original blue tomorrow and have the new US tires mounted next week that I ordered from Coker. Those tires are tall!!

7. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

Congrats, that's an awesome find! I'm glad you're keeping it original!

8. bonesy

bonesy

Great looking truck. It's amazing that it hasn't been "used-up" after all these years.

I can just see it as a push car for your '33. I'd love to see that shot!

9. Keep

Keep

That is one sweet truck, do not see to many of those around in that condition.

10. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh the pain. I had a chance to buy a beautiful 36 Dodge pickup many years ago for 1500 bucks and couldn't come up with the money. Nice Find!

11. mike hamel

mike hamel

Drove the truck around the block! It's the first time it's been on the road since 1949, 62 years! Gotta love the purr of the straight 6.

12. bonesy

bonesy

That's cool! 60+ years is a long nap.

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, that is a darn sweet little truck. Perfect color too.

14. Weres the pics???

15. Coolest truck I have ever seen. Exactly what I've always been yearning for. So jealous. Looking forward to more updates.

16. Wow , nice truck , especially those wheels looks awesome!

That´s the one to keep without mods !

17. mike hamel

mike hamel

Haha yes Ill be sure to shoot some toda when I take it for a drive again. Maybe I'll shoot a quick video too!

18. mike hamel

mike hamel

The wheels really had me sold when I initially looked at the truck. You never see these Dodges with these optional 20" wheels. It's very nice to work under the truck without a jack on jack stands because it's so high off the ground.

19. Mercchev

Mercchev

Sweet Truck..Enjoy!

20. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

what an awsome peice of surviving history. good on your for keeping it the way it is. great to see them kept like this when theyre that original!

21. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

amazing find... love that truck...

22. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

HUGE congratualtions on finding and most of all, not screwing with that original a find. I'd just get her running as though she'd been in service all these years. Polish her up, fix what needs fixing but try for originality because so few of these old vehicles see the light of day in true survivor/driver condition. Man, I'm jealous. I'd LOVE to have that truck.

23. That is nice. by the time i got the willys it had been outside for years and been painted and a few other things changed. very minimal but still it wasent orginal anymore. i could have changed things back but since it was already changed im just making a few other mods to make a hot rod.

i really wish i could find something like that all orgianl. keep up the good work and post more pics.

24. Lostj

Lostj
    from Miami, FL

x2!

25. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

All Mopars had juice brakes starting in 28. They are a bit different than most are used to as they are lockheed not bendix and their adjustment procedure is a bit different. Check the info from the Main Page of P15 D25 under works in progress for a complete how to on the brake system.

Great looking Truck, Wheels are definaltely different. While not a Pilothouse, the dodge truck guys liked to the P15 D25 site should be able to hepl you on any mecahical systems as they were pretty much the same 35 through late 50's.

There is a critical difference in the MOPAR cooling systems off the back of the water pump there is an opening into the water Jackets but there is a coolant distribution tube inserted into that casting. It acts like a duct in a heating system as it tapes from front to back, and has slots that direct coolant up onti the valve seat area. The taper and the size of the slots ensure that all the seats get the same volumn of coolant directed toward them. If your engine tries to run hot, that tube is the likeliest supsect, as it can get clogged and fouled with rust. If the cooling system is in good shape, you should never have an over heat problem with that engine.

I have a similar engine in my 46 plymouth coupe, and in the heat of July was running up and down hill in Vermont with a trunk load of stuff and weather i the high 80's. The temp gauge never went above 190.

The system is usualy a 0 pressure deal also. Ad if you over fill the radiator, it will puke out what it doesn't need. the level should be just enough to cover the core and leave room in the top for expansion.

Great Truck have fun.

26. flamingokid

flamingokid

Outfreakinstanding!!Show us some pix of the wheels and tires....

27. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Very, very cool. I subscribed just to see the video so get it done and loaded up! :D

I like how they cut the front stake pocket behind the driver's door so the tool box could fit flush on the running board. Function over form.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  28. mike hamel

mike hamel

Here is some updated pictures of the truck! New tires and tubes. Underneath the seat was an original new Atlas fan belt. I used that and replaced the old fan belt. Flushed the radiator, oiled the cylinders and started right up! Oh a new 6v battery and cables were needed too. This is how would would have bought the truck in 1936. I wouldn't dare change a thing because it would no longer be original. The original paint held up so well after all these years and the motor too! The clutch sticks a little bit and we are having to play with that right now. I have a video or 2 of it running but I'm a little YouTube illiterate haha I'm trying though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  29. mike hamel

mike hamel

Great information! Thank you for that, I was very surprised about the cooling system. When I initially started the truck for the first time. We let it idol for quite awhile and the water temp very rose about 140 degrees. Since we have been driving it, it has never risen above 145 degrees. Amazing! Dodge sure had their act together with a lot of aspects on their trucks.