Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Found this in an old moving trailer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmergal, Oct 31, 2011.

1. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

cleaned up and resealed engine and trans on the chassis

[​IMG]

and onto the body

[​IMG]

spare tire well had to go, was in the way of the larger gas tank

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I dont buy new sheet metal unless I have to, patches are all from car cutoffs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not many body repair pics, kept forgetting the camera but got some in progress pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Coming along great!

3. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thanks, has been going smoothly, or at least it was until last night, brake booster failed while bleeding the brakes. One step forward two steps back!
    Anyway more pictures..

underside cleaned up, all welds finished and seam sealer done, primed.

[​IMG]

Upol undercoating. Nice stuff, very little overspray and easy to apply with the gun included in the kit.

[​IMG]

Holes marked on the firewall to fill and welded up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

firewall smoothed for future brake booster, going with a firewall mount, no room under the floor with the dual exhaust.

[​IMG]

primed and painted

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

body going back on the chassis with new mounts and hardware

[​IMG]

ended up having to make a pocket for the center of the gas tank, sending unit area was too high. Used the factory bump from the donor caprice which also will be the spare tire mounting point.

[​IMG]

95 caprice wagon poly gas tank in place, with the bumper on it is not visible.

[​IMG]

floor and sealed with herculiner

[​IMG]

5. You're rolling right along with the Cadillac. Excellent progress!

6. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Yeah this is a great build moving right along too..

7. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Hey im someone... My gramma told me so. :D

8. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thanks guys I am pushing to get it out and on the road, already lined up a truck for the next project.

9. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Brake booster and master mounted, running the lines. Booster came from an 88 monte carlo SS, next time will stick with the S10 booster that uses a level master cylinder. Ended up having to make an angled mount on the firewall so that the master would be level, S10 mounts to a flat firewall. Swinging pedal set is also from the monte carlo, I like to keep the booster and pedals together as a set to make mounting easier.

[​IMG]

steering shaft in, flaming river 1" DD to 3/4" DD and a 3/4" DD joint/isolator to GM late model spline 3/4" 36. Got a great deal and found the joints new on epay for about half price. This is a budget build so savings add up. Steering column is a caprice tilt, not my first choice but the only colums I had around were non tilt which wouldnt work. I ended up moving the base of the column up quite a bit from the original and the tilt gets the steering wheel back where it should be. You can see the original hole and the new hole in the firewall in the first picture.

[​IMG]

Notched the radiator support to clear the new clip and made some additional mounts to the frame rails. I will also be keeping the factory style single center mount, just have to mod the brace.

[​IMG]

patterns from cardboard

[​IMG]

bent up and tacked in, same deal for both sides.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

11. farmer12

farmer12

Wow, moving along at a great pace! Awesome.

12. Trickster

Trickster

This whole things unreal. Cant belive how fast you guys get shit done.Lookn good.

13. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thanks guys, I just keep pushing to get it done!

Welded a shelf on the bottom of the radiator support for the new radiator, ebay special from champion radiator. My last ebay radiator works great in my Buick so I figured I would try again, cant beat the price.
    Made a top bracket to hold the radiator in place and set it on rubber mounts. Hayden electric fan was a swap meet $10 deal. I was making the fan mounts when the pic was taken, made from scrap round rod and flat pieces of steel. Bottom mount wasnt on yet in the picture.

[​IMG]

mounted up

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Aux trans cooler plumbed in series with the one in the radiator. Removed from the same car the engine came from, 95 caprice 9c1 police car. Horns mounted, one actually works, one is for show.

[​IMG]

14. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

15. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

No way, that 2nd pic is fugly, or should I say not what I prefer. First picture is closer to what it will look like when painted, but no paint for now.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Cool and thanks! I'm glad you like my photoshop. Are you planning any body mods, i.e. chopping, sectioning etc? If you have any ideas that you'd like to see worked up just let me know. Eli

17. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

No body mods on this one, the sectioned look looks cool but I want this one to look just like it was full trim and all. What would be cool is if you can photoshop this picture a dull maroon color and the sombreros with white walls we will be right where I want to be, I would like to see that.

[​IMG]

18. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

More up dates..

Lot of stuff got done that isnt really photogenic, plus the camera was MIA for awhile..battery mount made, nylon fuel lines made and run, brake lines ran, radiator hoses etc..all the time consuming PITA little jobs that take most of the time and dont show much progress. Some other pics I got were

All original light sockets were rebuilt with new contacts and wiring, new headlight plugs wired in as well. Reverse light hooked up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Full duals, used a flowmaster system from the 88 monte carlo SS donor car, cut it up and made it fit. Had to run the diverters on the tips! No more smashed trunk lid either.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rear pinion angle was set with the car on the ground with close to full weight, perches tacked, welded, and had my 11 year old daughter use the spray gun for the first time and paint the rear.

[​IMG]

Gas filler made, fully sealed system with new style cap in factory location.

[​IMG]

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Looking good.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

20. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Time to make the non traditional engine look a little more traditoinal with some scraps of frame steel stuck together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Time for a driveshaft.
    I have a bunch in stock from cars I have parted out over the years, this one is probably a early 70s chevelle or elcamino. Close but 3/4" too long, even has good ujoints that are the correct type. Cut the weld with a cutoff wheel and removed the yoke.

[​IMG]

Cut the tube with an abrasive wheel chop saw then put the driveshaft in the car with the yoke stuck in place. Tried putting a dial indicator on the tube but the small bumps and divots on the surface were giving the readings fits..so time for the calibrated eye and backwoods engineering. Clamped on a piece of tubing so that it was close to the tube as a reference

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then rotated the driveshaft and tapped the yoke as needed so that the gap between the shaft and the tube was the same during a full rotation. Maybe not accurate to .005 but it will be fine. Ujoints are were also put in phase when the shaft was bolted up. Once it looked good it was tack welded and then fully welded out of the car. Fits perfect.

[​IMG]

22. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Getting down to the nitty gritty on details, needed the ebrake hooked up. Used the original 47 cad primary cable, the 68 impala axle cables, and shortened a chevelle intermediate cable to tie it all together.
    Made some quick and dirty brackets

[​IMG]

installed, same on both sides

[​IMG]

Forgot to take a final picture, but it works fine with the factory 47 cad handle and actuator. I will have to get a pic next week if anyone wants to see what it looks like, but I doubt it :D

23. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Time for redneck whitewalls! I tried the "on car" method but it was way too slow so I just threw the tires on the ground and hit them with a grinder. Got some digs in them so they are not perfect but who cares as long as they hold air at highway speeds. Tires were free takeoffs a parts car so no biggie if it doesnt work out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

time to spray bomb the dash, not 100 percent happy with the color so may just go straight maroon. This will stay for now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Great work! Cool build! Please, keep the
    pics and details coming!

Mart3406
    ==================

26. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thanks, there is more to come, being slowed down by waiting on parts. Still trying hard to be done by May first but may miss it by a few days. First car show I want to drive to is May 19th and I am hoping to get a few miles on it before the drive just to make sure I didnt forget to tighten a wheel or something :)
    Takes a lot of time and work to build a car, with or without paint.

27. Love the Caddy and you're doing a bang-up job with the build too - thanks for sharing - can't wait to see the next installment - subscribed.
    rg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  28. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Time for some gauges!
    In the interest of saving money (yes I am cheap) and keeping the stock look of the dash I redid the original gauge set with newer gauges. Again donated by the 95 caprice, a donor car is the way to go with any build IMO.

Original stuff

[​IMG]

work in progress, speedo work in the backround as well, couldnt decide whether to build a digital speedo or analog. More on that later, still plenty of wiring to do.

[​IMG]

almost done

[​IMG]

complete! I will get another pic once it is in the car.

[​IMG]

29. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Man things are really slowing down, cant seem to get anything acomplished lately. Wasted many house screwing with the water temp gauge, works sometimes, sometimes not, finally had to let it go and get back to it later. First carshow I want to go to is on May 19th and as long as the car is drivable it is going, I can bug out the sensor lines later.

Trunk carpet down and spare tire mounted, just bought a $25 floor jack from HF which I will mount in the trunk.

[​IMG]

More wasted time..built a digital speedo then decided to pitch it and build an analog one, digital one just didnt match.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gauges and speedo wired and installed, heater motor wired and vent hoses installed. Dash build is taking forever!

[​IMG]

30. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

well the dash is just about done, radio gutted and new speakers put in, clock works changed to battery powered, etc, I wont bother with the pics. Overall I am not happy with it and I think I will be cutting the whole dash out eventually and putting in something from a different car. I have a 47 cad dash from a fleetwood that I like better, I may end up sectioning it and putting it in instead. Maybe something from the 50s, have to see what looks good.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2013